Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Connecting a camera

Rover

I understand that I need a T ring to connect a canon 1000d but after that I am getting myself confused. I want to get this straight in my head before I go ahead and start ordering things.

I have a 1.25" and the 2" for my telescope (although only 1.25" eye pieces) and this is where I think I am getting confused. I know I need something else to connect the T ring to the telescope but not sure what. I have read a few threads and they mention the things below but I think maybe reading too many things is what has me confused.

Do I need one of these Revelation Projection Camera Adapter 1.25"

or one of these Adaptors - Two-inch Focus Extension tubes

please help as it is driving me mad :)

What scope is it you have Rover? And what eye pieces? You'll deffo need the T-ring wich will attach to some sort of adaptor for the scope (either 2" or 1.25"). Some scopes are threaded for a T-ring so you can attach direct for prime focus photography. Some use an adaptor, and some attach to ep's for projection photography. :)

Here's the various options I use:

http://stargazerslounge.com/members/brantuk-albums-photography.html

At the moment I have a skyliner 8" Dob. I was going to start imaging the Moon to begin with to ease myself into imaging. I will be upgrading and plan to get an EQ5 and a smaller refractor, in time for next Winter though.

The eyepieces I have at the moment are the 25mm and 10mm Plossyls (probably spellled that wrong) that came with the scope and a barlow.

Check the focuser tube on the dob first. Mine has a 1.25" to 2" adaptor. If you can unscrew the 1.25" part off then that leaves a t-ring thread for direct connection of a camera. If you have the same then you won't need the adaptor.

The common problem with focusing a dslr is not enough "in-focus" on newtonians. Direct connection using the t-ring thread gets the camera as close as possible to the focal plane and helps eliminate the "in-focus" problem.

Archived