Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dec alignment in polarscope

OK, this is probably a silly question, and I'm not sure if I'm going to explain it right, but here goes ...

I set the pole height in the polarscope (with RA swivelled to match the correct position found using PolarFinder), and turn the azimuth bolts so that Polaris is in the circle. On this is occasion, the small circle may be in the "half-past the hour" position. So far so good.

A few nights later I go through the same process. On this occasion, PolarFinder may indicate that small circle for Polaris should be at the "quarter-past the hour" position, so I rotate the mount in RA so that the small circle is in the position in the polarscope and adjust the azimuth bolts to match. However, now, I would need to adjust the pole height using the altitude bolts to place Polaris in the small circle.

Here is my question(s) (deep breath :p )

Am I wrong in thinking that when set correctly, the altitude bolts shouldn't need to be adjusted again? Or am I simply misunderstanding what happens when I rotate the mount in RA, and my Pole height really does need adjusting? Or does my polarscope itself actually need adjusting?

/is easily confused :)

I would say that if you are taking down your mount each time, then with the best will in the world, you will never get it in exactly the same place the following night. So yes, there will be different adjustments needed on both bolts / knobs to get the best polar alignment.

I'm not taking my mount down at the minute, so ech time I set up and put my scope on, I get the circle right in the polar scope and Polaris is in the circle. When I take the mount down, then I will have to align again.

I hope that makes sense. As mentioned above, the tutorial from astro-baby really is excellent.

I also hope I've not told you a load of old rubbish as I'm rather new at this too!!!

Archived