NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First planet observation!

KentDave

Hi Everyone,

Had my first view of planets tonight.

I had planned to get up early to see Saturn, and whilst messing about with my scope in the early evening I noticed one 'star' in the sky so though I'd have a look and was really pleased to see it was Jupiter! It was a suprise to see it as I knew it was low in the sky now and I thought it would be behind the houses my garden backs on to. I could tell it was someting other than a star as it appeared significantly larger than anything else I had looked at, appearing as a pleasing orange disc. I couldn't make out any detail but it was enough to know I had seen it, quite unexpectedly.

I managed to get a couple of hours sleep before getting up at 2am and wrapping up warm, but was annoyed to see cloud floating past, but thought I'd give Saturn a go anyway. I checked Stellarium and located it through the passing cloud, higher in the sky than I though it would be, and the cloud was lifting.

I did my usual procedure of moving through eyepiece and barlow combinations, saving the 'grand finale' of 2x barlow and 10mm eyepiece until last. Even using the 25mm only I could see Saturn's distinctive enlongated shape, and I was getting excited each time I upped magnification. Using my highest magnification Saturn appeared at a good size, and the rings were clearly visible, the best part being when 'seeing' became gradually better so I could distinguish the gap between the rings and the planet.

I viewed it for over an hour, as it passed across the eyepiece, and I would adjust the scope to watch it pass by 'just one more time', many times over. I had to remind myself in the end that this wouldn't be the only time I would see it, and that it would also be getting warmer thank goodness!

A fantastic evening for me, I hope this isn't too long and boring!

A warm bed is calling me! Cheers, Dave.:)

THanks for sharing the experience. First view of Saturn is magical!

My equivalent of "just one more time", is to use my goto mount to find just one more Messier object. Invariably my sessions end with me accidentally pulling the power lead out of my scope rather than making the conscious decision to shut down.

Archived