NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Good B&W USB solar camera for a PST?

King

So far I've been making do with my Philips SPC800 for capturing solar activity and am of the persuasion (following some advice on here) that I should have a dedicated mono solar camera so am researching a good choice. I specifically want one with a USB connection.

I'm looking for something that will show detail well and also need to know which adaptor I'd need.

Any good info appreciated!

Yeah, I was looking at equipment data following some of the best solar images I was able to Google and DMK came up. Figured it was best to see if the same was mentioned here without my input.

Cheers for that!

And looking at them it appears they come ready-to-fit?

Depending on your scope you might get the whole disk in one go with a 41.
You certainly will at prime focus with a PST. The solar diameter is approx. 800 pixels so it fits nicely on the 1280 x 960 sensor of the '41 but just fails to fit on the 1024 x 768 sensor of the '31. The '21 needs a four frame mosaic (at least: 6 is safer).

However you will probably have difficulty getting the DMK cameras to prime focus unless you remove the C-CS adapter ring that comes attached to the camera (some people don't reealise it just screws off) and use a short, shoulderless nosepiece like the short C mount adapter offered by Modern Astronomy link the correst adapter is about halfway down the page.

I picked up a DMK 41 today and had just enough time to install it with its software and mess around a bit before the Sun got too low. Very pleased with the results.

However, as I suspected, I had a job focusing without attaching my Magnimax 1.6 barlow which puts the camera at better focusing range for that telescope. Of course doing that it's a lost cause trying to get full disc shots so I've just ordered said short C mount adaptor.

I'm also having trouble getting the Sun to show in Sharpcap (though it appears fine in the supplied image program). Is it possible to get Sharpcap to work with it or am I better off with an alternative?

Cheers, people! I'll familiarize myself more with that program then, at a time when I'm not rushing to beat a sunset. I wasn't able to figure out video-taking mode in the short time today so wound up with just a still .bmp.

I wasn't able to figure out video-taking mode in the short time today
You need to bring up the movie capture control screen. My fingers can remember how to do it but not consciously. Sad really. :)

• 1 year later...

I just got myself a DMK 31. Does that short adapter work? Presumably it's threaded differently from my present adapter, that screws into the C/CS adapter ring. I assume that the one from Modern Astronomy screws directly onto the camera after the ring has been removed. I just want to be doubly sure before I order one. :hello2:

No.

It screws into the fixed adaptor ring on the camera body, BUT if it the short one without the collar, the adaptor ring on the camera actually slides inside the 1.25" eyepiece aperture on the focuser allowing you to have the camera further down.

Hope this makes sense.....

Yep, the shorty nosepiece doesn't have a "shoulder" so when you insert the camera, it's front face will sit snug against the top of the eyepiece holder on the PST. Those extra few mm make all the difference for achieving focus.

Cheers

Ian

Archived