Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Scope control with a cheap netbook?

Hi all,

Can any tecchies out there tell me if it's possible to use a cheap Allfine 7" netbook for autoguding my NEQ6. One of these:

51cKoj2VUWL._AA300_.jpg

It's just that my printer cartridge supplier has offered one free with my next order, and it would be good to have a cheapo laptop controlling the scope rather than my 'proper' one which I use at the moment.

I've read the reviews of the Allfine and it comes out as pretty useless. It would have to be able to run EQMOD, ASCOM, Cartes du Ciel, PHD plus the the webcam software. My guess is that it won't be up to the job, or even that the software wouldn't be compatible. Any ideas?

The technical blurb says:

STORAGE DRIVE TYPE: 2GB SSD SYSTEM RAM: 128MB OPERATING SYSTEM: MICROSOFT WINDOW CE PROCESSOR: ARM 920 32BIT PROCESSOR I/O PORTS: *1 USB - U - DISK for USB devices such as USB MEMORY STICKS or storage devices like MP3 PLAYERS etc... *2 USB - PERIPHERALS for USB keyboards, mouse. 1 EARPHONE/LINE IN SOCKET CARD SOCKET: SD CARD SOCKET MOUSE CONTROL: TOUCHPAD KEYBOARD: STANDARD 80-KEY UK LAYOUT DISPLAY TYPE: 7-INCH LCD TFT WIDESCREEN: YES MAX RESOLUTION: 800 x 480 (WVGA) OTHER COM PORTS: 10/100MB ETHERNET PORT WIRELASS LAN: BUILT-IN WI-FI (IEEE 802.11B/G) AUDIO OUTPUT POWER: DUAL SPEAKERS SOFTWARE: MICROSOFT WINDOWS CE, WEB BROWSWER, WORD PROCESSOR, YOUTUBE, SPREADSHEETS, PDF, VIEWER, EMAIL CLIENT, MSN MESSENGER, CORE VIDEO PLAYER, FOXIT PRO ADOBE READER TECHNOLOGY; LITHIUM BATTERY (MAX. 3HOURS) POWER SUPPLY: AC CHARGER/POWER SUPPLY WEIGHT: 650G SIZE: 222 (l) X 165 (w) x 29.5 (d) mm Please note that you will not be able to do the following: Upgrade RAM No iTunes / iPod Support No external hard drives or hard disks No 3D and UMTS support No connection and external monitors No other operating system can be installed Does not support flash websites

I'd say probably not as it's Windows CE rather than XP or better. You'd struggle to get drivers and I doubt the control software comes for the CE operating system. It's a glorified PDA rather than a netbook.

I'd say probably not as it's Windows CE rather than XP or better. You'd struggle to get drivers and I doubt the control software comes for the CE operating system. It's a glorified PDA rather than a netbook.

Thanks! I suspected as much. Don't really need 48 printer cartridges anyway!

Archived