Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Mount for LX90 ?

Horus

An 8" LX90 would sit on a HEQ5 nicely, or plan for the future and get an EQ6. A dovetail bolted to the end castings will do, or you could put the OTA in rings and dovetail, perhaps the better option.

The EQ6 would allow a range of future options Scope wise.

Ron.

A dovetail bolted to the end castings will do, or you could put the OTA in rings and dovetail, perhaps the better option.

Why do you think that rings are the better option? There's no need to rotate a SCT tube (as there is with a Newt), the eyepiece can be adjusted to a convenient position by rotating the diagonal.

Why do you think that rings are the better option? There's no need to rotate a SCT tube (as there is with a Newt), the eyepiece can be adjusted to a convenient position by rotating the diagonal.

No other reason than the option to remove the OTA from the mount should he wish to. If he should keep the mount permanently sited

No need to leave the scope out in the elements. It's easier to un ring it, than unbolting the dovetail each time, and risk the thread damage over time.

Isn't the HEQ5 motorised ? The LX is a Goto I can't see how this would work or am I not understanding the thinking behind it ?

The Meade OTA is taken out of the forks to mount on the HEQ5 or EQ6. Either, or both of those mounts come as a Pro version, which are also GoTo. They are not cheap though.

It's easier to un ring it, than unbolting the dovetail each time, and risk the thread damage over time.

Can't see the difference between wearing the bolts on the dovetail & wearing the bolts on the rings. The dovetail puck on the Synta mounts is in any case an easily replaceable item.

I de-forked my 8" LX90 and put it onto an EQ6 after getting hooked on imaging and wanting a mount with better capabilities in that area.

I used a Farpoint Losmandy dovetail that I bought from Ian King Imaging: Mounting accessories from Ian King Imaging

De-forking was quite straightforward and I've been happy with the outcome. I also fitted my EQ6 with an ADM saddle, which makes attaching/detaching the OTA very easy.

I note SteveP's comment about the size of the screws used to attach the dovetail to the OTA, but no problems here so far - touchwood!

post-17860-133877537288_thumb.jpg

Wow ....that looks impressive , I see how it works now ( de- forking ) yes !

I'm not really into AP but had a go , the real reason I want o change mounts is that I'm not too impressed with it

I'm lost. What do you actually want to achieve? What is the LX90 mount not doing for you that you would like it to do? If we know that then we can maybe advise helpfully.

I de-forked an LX200 once and wish I hadn't because the fork mount, though I found it useless for photography, was nice in alt-az visually. Once I had done it I found the OTA itself pretty poor for photography and missed the easy alt-az system for visual. Curses! Though I hate forks for AP I thnk they avoid contortions in visual use. With a GEM the scope changes position much more as it goes around the sky and you have the meridian flip hassle.

Olly

Archived