Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meade flip mirror 664 for SW 127 Mak help???

Last night was great night for observing, so I decided to use my Astrovid Stella cam on my Skywatcher 127 Mak.

However I've managed to capture a video of M42, which was good, however I tried to get M81 and M82, And by god it was a pain!!! :o trying to get my target in focus through my eyepiece, and then take my eyepiece out and put my stella cam in, and refocus again, to get the image sorted.

This beginning to make my night not enjoyable at all, And I'm well fusrtated :(

So I've been looking around today, And I've managed to find my soultion to my problem.

Meade offer a flip mirror adapter 664 1.25" UHTC However one small draw back, I have a SW 127 Mak. And I don't even know if it will fit Lol!

So if anyone can help me and suggest way's for the flip mirror to fit on my scope, If would of great help.

I'm currently started out on starting imaging using my CCD Stella cam, However it's right what many of my mate's suggested, Astrography is not easy at all!!!! :)

I like visual observing and I'm starting to get a little bored of it, but I want to start something a bit more different, to keep my interest growing!!! ;)

If you can insert 1,25" eyepieces then 1,25" flip mirrors will also fit. You can also parfocalize your eyepiece - focus with the camera, and then remove it and put in the eyepiece trying to make the image focus by changing how much the eyepiece is inserted into the visualback (without using the focuser). You mark the level and later you can find & focus with the eyepiece and when you put in the camera you will be very close to focus.

Look into the orion flip mirror, which has T-threads all round (I don't have one personally, but am considering one seriously). I seem to recall that the Mak has a T-thread on the back because I'm sure I put my DSLR on the back once or twice.

There is also what appears to be a clone of the orion mirror by 'Bright star astro' for about a tenner less : Accessories @ Modern Astronomy

Robin

You're right, it's on the visual back bit. I presume there's a mak->T adapator out there somewhere, although I don't quite see why you wouldn't/couldn't use the visual back with the flip mirror - after all, you do with the diagonal.

Robin

@Merlin66 - yep, see your point there - it's not ideal attached to the visual back.

@partymarty - it does look good and good value too. As I say, on my wish list right now. If you get one, could you write a review?

cheers,

Robin

Just to muddy the water...I have both the Meade 2" and 1.25" flip mirrors they are quality constructed, fully adjustable in X -Y and Z with the same thickness and UHTC coated mirrors that they have in the diagonals...I use them instead of the std diagonal...that way you can have a camera always at the ready on the other port...

I also use three Vixen flip mirrors ( 2" nosepiece and 1.25"/T thread output ports) slightly modified on my spectroscopes. The price was right!

The front surface mirror is VERY thin and average quality....BUT Knight Optics do a replacement coated mirror (around 15gbp) which can easily be fitted to the Vixen....

I must admit with meade you pay more for high quality optics, And they are alway's guarnteed, The meade mirror as got UHTC coating as well.

For the sake of an extra £30 or more it's well worth it the end.

Right I've just ordered the Meade 1.25" Flip mirror 664 UHTC and the Mak to Sct Adaptor from R.V.O, let's take the risk and find out shall we. I will make a review and posts some photos of my SW 127 Mak very soon!!! But we'll see if works, I'm sure there is a lot of people you would be very interested indeed. :)

Archived