NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Heritage 76 v 130P Dob and webcam photos

I've had a basic Skywatcher refractor SK609EQ1 for several years and never really had much success - my back garden has too much light pollution from streetlights and it takes so long to set up for very little pay back.

Now have Meade 10x50 binoculars which I find are actually better (!) than scope. However, looking to purchase something more practical and started have a look a really good reviews on these forums for Skywatcher Heritage 76 Dob and 130P Dob. These seem like practical low cost alternatives for beginner. I've also just purchased Philips SPC900 webcam and adapters to try out some photography with existing scope and wondered if these are useable with Heritage models? I've seen some posts saying you can do this with 130P model and wondered if it was also possible with 76 model? Anyone got any practical experience and pics?

Given the choice, I would go for the 130. It gives pleasing results and I suspect you will find the 76 extremely limiting extremely quickly.

As both are dobs you are going to have real problems taking images of anything more than a few seconds, so will be limited to the moon and brighter planets at best. However, as finances improve, you could then get a suitable mount and use the 130 OTA on that for imaging.

HTH

Archived