Televue prices

Stu

New stock coming on stream perhaps ?.

There have been some rumours that they'll change to a tapered barrel design rather than their normal undercut. I hope so - those things always seem to snag with a focuser which uses a brass compression ring ...

There have been some rumours that they'll change to a tapered barrel design rather than their normal undercut. I hope so - those things always seem to snag with a focuser which uses a brass compression ring ...

That's a theory I've read as well. A sort of global stock clearance to make way for some improved designs. There are rumours around of the demise of the Radian and Panoptic ranges as well :)

There have been some rumours that they'll change to a tapered barrel design rather than their normal undercut.

A parallel barrel with no undercut would be better still IMHO. The undercut is a major issue, especially when it catches & the eyepiece then "jumps" onto the floor.

There are rumours around of the demise of the Radian and Panoptic ranges as well :)

I'd heard that as well.

I can't see them killing the Radian as it's a favourite with eyeglass wearers because of the long eye relief - they're all parfocal too which is a bonus.

The Pans are arguable - the 41mm only has a 0.1° advantage over the 31mm T5 Nagler (on my SW 300P). That's not a lot, and coupled with the T6 Nagler going to far shorter focal lengths than the Pan, maybe they will drop them to reduce their inventory.

There have been some rumours that they'll change to a tapered barrel design rather than their normal undercut.

Oh it's not a rumour - I read the post on CN from the Tele Vue rep stating that they were already making this change to some of the eyepieces. I don't think he said it was across the whole Tele Vue range though...

Can you elaborate?

Pans are much lighter than Ethoi in the same focal length. Weight is an issue for some users - those with Dobs or fork mounted SCTs which can also struggle with heavy eyepieces. The apparent field of view of the Pan is sufficient for many users (I find it more than sufficient) and the wider field EPs just don't excite me. I suspect that the Pans have a higher light transmission than Ethoi, they certainly have a higher transmission than Nags. And they're cheaper.

Radians have a higher transmission and higher contrast than Nags. And they're a lot cheaper.

...Radians have a higher transmission and higher contrast than Nags. And they're a lot cheaper.

I've seen at least 2 surveys that show that the light transmission of more the more recent Nagler types exceeds that of Radians by 3-4% across a number of wavelengths. Not that it's a significant difference if you like the other characteristics of the Radians.

I'll see if I can find a link to the data.

Archived