NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Writing to MP about LP

umadog

I wrote to my local MP about light pollution and received the following reply. Who else is up for writing to their MP?

Thank you for contacting me about street lights, light pollution and Climate Change Week.

In the words of Lord Rees, the Astronomer Royal: “the night sky is one part of our environment we have shared with all cultures in all periods of human history”. In recent years, light pollution has been a growing problem. According to the British Astronomical Association’s Campaign for Dark Skies and the Council for the Protection of Rural England, 83 per cent of people now have their view of the night sky affected by this kind of pollution. I believe it is important to protect our view of the night sky from further neglect. I therefore accept that we need a proper debate on our approach to road and street lighting which contributes to light pollution problems.

Of course this type of lighting provides significant benefits in terms of road safety and crime prevention. However, it is important to assess whether these important policy goals can be delivered in a way which has less of an environmental impact – both in terms of light pollution and carbon emissions. For example, the Highways Agency, which operates the strategic road network, is considering whether there are stretches of motorway where it would be safe to turn off lights between midnight and 5am. In some circumstances, assisted by modern technology, it may also be possible to obtain genuine environmental, financial and carbon improvements from dimming local street lights in the early hours. However, any decisions on this should be a matter for the local highways authority, taking into account environmental considerations, road and personal safety and the views of residents. I am writing to Chris Huhne MP, Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change, asking him to respond to the matters you have raised. I will come back to you as soon as I receive a reply.

In the meantime, if you have any further comments, please do not hesitate to get in touch. Once again, thank you for taking the time to get in contact.

I too, have made representations to the South Somerset Council officials regarding street lights and it seems they are all biding their time and watching what issues arise from the few councils who are running pilot schemes. The main concerns are that of public perception - the fear of increased accidents and an upsurge incrime being blamed on the lack of lighting. This in turn might lead to a spate of lawsuits where a burglar tripped over an upturned garden rake and injured himself. If the cuts in expenditure force Councils to turn off the lights then we might see an increase in home security lighting - which negates the very reason why we, the astronomers, want the lights off in the first place. Naturally, the Councils won't mind as it'll be the householder who foots the energy bill.

As the old saying goes - "Be careful what you wish for ......"

This is what I had sent:

I notice that at the end of March it will be Climate Change Week. Consequently, I am writing to bring the issue of Light Pollution to your attention. Poorly designed and wasteful light fixtures scatter light up into the sky instead of illuminating the intended surface. This has enormous environmental and financial impacts. The UK Campaign for Dark Skies estimates that over a billion pounds a year are lost this way. Of this, 120 million alone is a consequence of poorly shielded street lighting. Astonishingly, a single 500W security light left on for 2 hours a night will, in a year, have produced as much CO2 as an airliner traveling 570 miles. This is environmentally unsustainable. The image on the following page shows the extent of the problem, as photographed from the International Space Station.

Fifty years ago many were familiar with the sight of the Milky Way, which from dark skies is bright enough to cast a shadow. For most of the UK population this overwhelming sight is now smothered by the pallid glow of outdoor lighting. We have lost an ancient part of our heritage and denied our children a well-worn path into science. Thousands of astronomers across the UK are deeply concerned. In November 2008 the issue made the front cover of National Geographic

Light Pollution is not an inevitable consequence of urbanization; it is caused by inefficient lighting practices and has outstripped population growth: increasing by 24% in the last 7 years. Correcting the situation does not mean removing the lights. Lighting can be made more efficient by shielding it to direct light only downwards. Correctly shielded lights can be lower wattage and often fewer of them are needed. For example, in Calgary (Canada) railway lighting was recently refitted in this way and the results have saved $1.7 million each year. Similar stories can be told of Flagstaff and Tuscon, in Arizona, and Oslo, in Norway, to name but a few. Furthermore, UK Police reports indicate that over-lighting unoccupied properties tends encourage, not deter, crime. Adding motion detectors would save money, improve security, and darken our skies. Everyone wins!

Light pollution is a leaking tap which each night pours two power stations’ worth of emissions into our skies. It blots out the stars, burdens our finances, and pollutes our air. If parliament is serious about green issues then it must act. Forthcoming LED lighting offers a potential solution; but if deployed thoughtlessly, bright blue/white LEDs have the potential to make a bad problem far worse. The astronomical community has solutions and is willing to work with local and national government. For more information please contact either myself or the Campaign for Dark Skies (CfDS - The Campaign for Dark Skies. An Anti Light Pollution Organisation.).

Archived