Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ICBM launcher arrives!!!! (Skywatcher 8" reflector)

Well the scope arrived yesterday :D

Boxes not as large as I expected which was a nice surprise...until I actually saw the scope. It's big. No matter how much I thought about what to expect I knew something would be a surprise.

Anyway after a good start to the evening viewing the comet I came home for a play around. Put all the bits together which was pretty straight forward. The mount with the counterweights on is a heavy item!

I didn't have a powersource and have never aligned a scope so being an impatient soul just went outside and pointed at saturn and the the orion nebula.

Loved the views. Can't say I was TOTALLY blown away but then I wasn't dissappointed either. I just think I was realistic about what to expect. I did have a little chuckle to myself with saturn looking so stunning though. And it was curious to look upon M42 on a totally new scale.....instead of "fuzziness" you can make out the nebulous material :shock:

All this was done with terrible light pollution, literally yards from a street lamp which also meant my eyes were not adjusted at all.

As expected I did get eventually get frustrated not being able to track my targets and therefore not really being able to use the higher mags on saturn.

All round though a pleasing start and I was just glad that I had a clear first night. Now I need to learn my polar alignment because I think accurate tracking is the key for a rewarding session as it greatly reduces the effort for the reward.

Regarding the scope, quite impressed with the all round quality and glad I got the HEQ5 because even that beast was fluttering in the "breeze".

Also a mention for Steve at First Light Optics. Good price, service and customer support. Thanks Steve.

Sounds just like my experience yesterday. Same scope. Small box - huge scope. Seeing Saturn clearly, but not managing to up the mag (from just 50x) due to lack of bother to polar align. I also had an LP problem - a glaring outside light I didn't turn off until after an hour of observing!

Only difference was I didn't deal with Steve. :p sorry, Steve. I'll try better for my next investment - probably a new 2" EP :D

Andrew

Archived