NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher, Altair?

Hi all, Im in such a crossroads, im hoping you can help me please. Im upgrading my scope to either a Skywatcher 200pds or an Altair 8" Newtonian. The only thing that worries me is that I have never attempted colimation before. My main aim is to progress with astrophotography, whilst my son can still use it through an ep, and enjoy it. I have read and watched videos posted on colimation and thought about it deeply, if you dont move the scope, then surely you shouldn't have to keep doing the colimation. Can you please help me in attempting to make a decision on one or other of these scopes, the only problem I have found is there isn't enough info about the altair, where as the skywatcher is proven. Any advice would really help me.

Hi from a newbie! just want to say i am new to collimation and it really isnt hard to do! i have the explorer 150p and its pretty straight forward, i have also collimated my dads 8" helios for him. dont be put off and i am sure there are plenty of people on this great site that will help!!

Thanks matey, to be honest I think my main concern is the Altair because there are not many reviews about it. is it because people are not using it or is that it isnt rated??? I dont really want to waste just under £1000 trying to future proof for a couple of years.

Collmation is just soketing you have to do like changing the oil in your car. It neednt be done every time you use the scope but I usually do because after a while it becomes second nature.

The toughest thing to cllimate is the secondary mirror but this doesnt need doing unless the scope suffers a serious thump or you removed the secondary assembly. Most collimation is of the primary mirror only and really isnst that hard. Budget in a collimation tool and its pretty easy.

My advice is always to get a Cheshire rather than a laser purely because Chshires are pretty simple to use whereas lasers always seem to cause the newbie to have problems.

The reason you probably dont see many reviews on the Altair is probably just because there are far fewer of them out there whereas the Skywatcher 200 in all of its various forms (Dobsonian, P or PDS models) is probably one of the biggest selling scopes.

Collimation is like riding a bike - once you have learned how it becomes a simple routine. If you have a permanent mount or move your scope carefully and store it without thumping it about you will not need to collimate often at all. (My own 200P has not been collimated since last autumn but it does live in my observatory). Those who carry their scope round in the car to dark sites etc will probably have to collimate (or at least check collimation) every time they set up.

If it's the Altair 8" Imaging Newt, then I have one, unfortunately, I've never used it because I don't have a mount to put it on ...yet! :)

It does seem like a pretty well put together piece of kit. The Focuser is a dual-speed crayford by GSO, and that's nice. Collimation and adjustment knobs on the primary mirror - I would recommend replacing the allen screws on the secondary with Bob's knobs.

If you Google for "Astro-Tech 8" Imaging Newtonian", it's essentially the same scope so you should find more information to set your mind at ease.

I'll tell you what ... Linky :o

Thanks everybody, I think im slightly at ease, what made my wife laugh was seeing the pictures astrobaby posted, she now wants to know where the new scope is going to live??? Think we may have to move house..lol. What sort of mount do you recommend please, the shop I have being talking to want to supply a eq5 ?

What sort of mount do you recommend please, the shop I have being talking to want to supply a eq5 ?

Since you asked ... the EQ5 is the absolute minimum for an 8" Newtonian, HEQ5 or EQ6 would be much better from the point of view of mounting the scope. Also considerably heavier and more expensive.

If an EQ5 is really too big / heavy for you, then consider a Dobsonian mount.

I'm looking at putting mine on an EQ6, but an EQ5 should be fine for the weight of the scope + a few accessories.

Just having a read, it looks like the Astro-Tech 8" could use some heavier springs on the collimation knobs - another thing to add to my shopping list ...

They have suggested and EQ5 Pro with goto, all i am putting in there at the moment will be my neximager until I get my camera moded. I take it that visually my son will still enjoy it. Have just read some reviews thanks for that ajg, his mount was the celestron, surely the eq5 is stronger? Good point thanks brian b, the only problem now is it is down to money. :)

An 8 inch Newt is the only scope I can think of which will do visual and imaging at a forgiving focal length but if it were me I would put it on an NEQ6. If imaging were the priority I would, without doubt, go for an ED80 or other small refractor on an HEQ5.

Olly

Have got the article from S&N for the altair 8" if interested. Works fine on EQ5, for imaging using goto you would want to check may weight - you'd get away with a DSLR and 8" unguided combo - with guidescope suggest you'd want to move up to heq5 or eq6 pro

Archived