Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Electronics advice PLEASE!!

spaceboy

Hi

I could do with a bit of advice if anyone knows electronics.

I have an RA motor on an EQ5. The key pad that slews the motor has the usual DC 2.1 socket but when you try to power the keypad through the socket it won't work. Not having the need or the money to fix this I naturally assumed it was the socket at fault and cut the plug of the mains adapter and fixed directly to the cables in side. It works perfectly. After a visit to maplins I decided what the hell and got a new DC socket and new plug to put the keypad back to it's original configuration. Needless to say for some un known reason it now won't work again. Took the socket and plug off again and connected it directly and all is OK.

I'm assuming it's a faulty resistor or some thing. I have a multi meter but TBH have no idea how it works. I would be happy to leave it directly connected but as it is now up for sale I think it would be easier for the next owner to have the choice to plug what ever power supply in.

I can post pics if need be. FYI it is only 6V.

Any help would as usual be most appreciated.

SPACEBOY

The dc power jacks normally incorprate a switch as they are often used to charge internal batteries... the switch is in the body (usually negative) contact...

Might be worth checking... If there arent any batteries involved (which it looks like there isnt) then short the two body contacts together...

Billy...

As the wires are exposed at the socket I tried connecting the power supply to them, no good. If I remove the wires from the socket and connect straight to the power, it works.

Do you want the V when it is connected to the socket?? Otherwise I need to get the iron warmed up to take the wires off.

This is all to confusing for me icon_scratch.gif I have no idea what setting the meter should be on and I can't see how I could have the wrong socket connection. Is it not outer - or tip + ? There are 3 connections but the positive bleeps the MM and the both the other beep the MM so I must have correct polarization?

Assuming you know electronics I don't suppose you could have a look some time Rogerthedodger???? I'm only up the rd from you so I could pop down when it's convenient?.

You are absolutely right Psychobilly - I had exactly the same problem at work the other day. I just connected the two -ve terminals together. It did take me longer than it should have to realise the problem - my excuse was that it was 7pm on a Friday and I was almost the only person left at work!

You are absolutely right Psychobilly - I had exactly the same problem at work the other day. I just connected the two -ve terminals together. It did take me longer than it should have to realise the problem - my excuse was that it was 7pm on a Friday and I was almost the only person left at work!

Looks like I am soon to second that. Going to swap them over now.

yes...

Meter with the red lead on the "center" pin and the black lead on each of the two other sockets conenctiosn in turn ...

Black lead in the Com socket red in the Volts/Ohms on meter on DC volts 20 range...

Before you plug it in make sure you have wired the plug up properly... :glasses1:

Billy...

I think billy is correct btw.

On the multimeter, black lead in COM, red lead in V, turn the knob to Vdc (about 2 o'clock) plug in the power supply, connect the red probe to where the red wire is in the box, the black probe to the black wire is in the box. If the MM reads 0.00, move the black lead to the other lug on the socket (you can see it in the photo of the box) between the red and black wire... and see if you get a reading. If you do, move the black wire to that other lug.

Where are the worship emoticons when you need them ???

Afraid you will have to make do with these Psychobilly :glasses1::icon_salut::):icon_salut::p:icon_salut:;):icon_salut::)

THANKS but I still don't get why ?? Never mind it is done now and such a simple fix.

I am so glad I joined this forum the wealth of knowledge is priceless.

Thanks to everyone else for your help also.

SPACEBOY

No worries just glad its working...

Theres a switch built into the socket if you have a piece of equipment that runs of batteries and an external mains adaptor then you dont want it running of both at the same time...

I use these for a different purpose where I want to recharge batteries inside a piece of equipment and dont want the kit to be running when its recharging...

Billy...

That's gotta be one small switch. Never even gave it a thought to try the other connection. I only know 2 setting on the MM so I only checked with the bleep to check a complete circuit. Never crossed my mind one of them was running at 1.2 and the other 6.3

They say you learn some thing new every day :glasses1:

Thanks again!

SPACEBOY

Archived