Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Megrez 90 dovetail query

Rautospoon

I have bought a (second hand) WO Megrez 90 and am about to order a Giro 3 mount from Telescope Services (first class help and assistance as usual !). I was going to buy one of these to attach the scope to the mount :

William Optics - Vixen-style Dovetail

but Patrick (at TS) stated :

"The William Optics dovetail plate fits into the saddle plate of the Giro, but it is not a particularly strong connection. The plate is unfortunately a wrong design, which is also why we chose to take it off our shop. In the position where most mounts have the locking screws the dovetail plate isn't sloped at all. Instead that is where it runs perpendicular to the mount. As a result, no matter how hard you try to lock the screw of the saddle plate, it will never be a very firm connection. A regular "all-sloped" dovetail plate offers a much better connection."

Can anyone confirm whether he is correct or not and, if he is, what alternative dovetail I should buy, in order to make the best connection.

Some specific and unequivocal advice on this matter, would be very much appreciated, to avoid wasting time and money on the wrong dovetail !

Many thanks.

Steve at FLO recommended to me the ADM equivalent ADM Guidescope Rings and systems - ADM Vixen-type dovetail with wide top

Helen

Cheers Helen. Presumably it is the 195 mm version ? Have you found it to work well with your Giro 3 without any problems ? Does it work ok, without "catching" on anything eg.the dew shield ? Any chance of a picture of your set up ?

Many thanks for your help - appreciated !

Would the same apply to mounting a WO Megrez 72 on SW EQ5 Pro? I know the L-shaped "shoe" of the meg is supposed to fit a Synta dovetail mount, but I want to use a dovetail bar to make sure I can achieve balance when the DSLR is attached

Interesting, I use a Megrez 90 on one of these plates and never had any problems. He's right the locking bolt does touch a flat part of the dovetail, albeit the top edge where it starts to slope. But if the locking bolts are nice and tight there shouldn't be a problem.

The ADM looks like a good plate to go for.

Interesting, I use a Megrez 90 on one of these plates and never had any problems. He's right the locking bolt does touch a flat part of the dovetail, albeit the top edge where it starts to slope. But if the locking bolts are nice and tight there shouldn't be a problem.

The ADM looks like a good plate to go for.

Hi, Do you use it on a Giro 3 mount ?

Archived