Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher "EQ6"/"NEQ6" Syntrek/Synscan - any difference?

NickK

Not sure if there's a change in the model numbers but FLO list the EQ6 SynScan as NEQ6 and another place has EQ6. Is there any difference or just a typo?

Also I've noted from astrobaby that the motors are different in the SynScan, additionally another place has done PE checking for all the EQ6 range and noted that there was a better PE on the Synscan compared to the Syntrek. Any mileage in this?

My understanding is that the stepper motors are the same in both the syntrek and synscan. It's the vanilla EQ6 that has non-stepper motors, hence the expense of the upgrade. I would imagine any difference on PE between the two models would be down to manufacturing differences rather than component differences.

Tony..

Differences between EQ6 Syntrek & NEQ6 Synscan:

1. Controller. The Synscan is full goto, the Syntrek isn't. The only doifference is the hand controller, which is a simple directonal control panel in the Syntrek.

2. NEQ6 has a longer counterweight bar fitted.

3. NEQ6 is supplied with interchangeable saddles to fit both Skywatcher/Vixen and Losmandy dovetails (only one type at once of course!)

Brian is right the Syntrek and Synscan are exactly the same mount - the difference is in the handset.

I have the Synscan version - but control it via EQmod through the laptop, so I should have bought the Syntrek version, as I haven't used the handset in maybe 2 years.

The old black version of the mount had different motors, pcb's and a few other differences - hence the price of the upgrade.

Ant

Brian and Tony (Whippy) are right - the Syntrek and Synscan EQ6's are identical except for the handset. What was the EQ6 Pro has been renamed NEQ6; as Brian points out has a longer counterweight bar by virtue of an extension and two saddles, one Vixen, one Losmandy.

It's the 'plain' EQ6 that has only the motor drives (dual ones, RA and DEC). :glasses1:

The info on the link you've posted is incorrect - what they've labeled the Syntrek is in fact the vanilla EQ6 which is black. The Syntrek and Synscan models are white.

James

Archived