bahtinov masks

You might want to consider one of the simpler alternatives.

On my scopes I use a simple 'Y-mask', which is just like it sounds. Three narrow strips of card attached to a ring that fits over the end of the dewshield. This gives you a diffraction pattern consisting of an X with another bar running through it, you just shift focus until that other bar exactly bisects the star. Brighter than a Bahtinov, as there is less obstruction.

"Simples"

sorry to keep asking but ive downloaded windows paintshop photo pro(needed a program to open the mask template) now when i try to open the downloaded bahtinov mask template i get error message saying its not a svg file and i'm unsure how to change the file to svg

thanks star

i'm back again

after a couple of days i finally gave upon my desk top went to a friends house tried it on his pc nothing.what was happening was after i generate the template i would try to open it with i.e and many others was it looked like ie was about to open then window would dissapear and i waould have the open, openfolder,cancel window again.now i tried this on my note book this morning (windows 7) and it worked .well sort of it opened the file but its just txt no bahtinov mask

can anyone plz help. or have a look at the link i gave in the op and tell me if i can use the first or second one thanks again

star

{edit} i have a celestron 130, f4,aperture 130,focal length 650 thanks again

If youre really determined to make one, then there are other ways to open the .svg file without hassle.

1) Download and install Inkscape (Free), you will be able to rescale/tweak using that too.

or

2) Drop it into a new tab on any firefox-based browser (IE wont recognise it without plugins).

But you might find it a lot less hassle to just go and buy one, becuase of finding the correct materials and the stress of cutting the mask by hand. They cost as little as £12 online now, and for that you can be sure that you will get something thats a lot tougher with better mountings.

Archived