NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron NexStar 102SLT Telescope

bcfc1979

im still looking for a new scope,and this one as caught my eye. but is it anygood,as anyone got one on here who could give me a honest opinion? would also like to no how reliable the motors are likely to be in the goto mount. are they just some cheapo set-up or built to last? ;):)

cheers

ste

I have one.

The optics are quite good, but there is a bit of chromatic aberration. Not too much of a problem visually, but shows up a lot in photos. The system does occasionally do a weird thing when slewing, like trying to go over the top when moving a long way in azimuth! But this has only happened a couple of times and can easily be remedied by going back to your starting point and moving round in 'steps'.

I like this scope and use it quite a lot.

Yes, optically it is pretty good, and the GOTO and tracking is OK.

Reliability? Hmm - both my mount and a friends failed after a few months in the same way (the azimuth drive became erratic). Fixed under warranty.

I fitted a Skywatcher electric focusser (the mount is very wobbly if you focus manually) and dovetail and tube rings (to enable a camera to balance) to mine.

NigelM

Archived