NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

eq5 mount to horizontal position

jmfdiver

Hi I am stuck following Astrobabys tutorial to align the reticule of the polarscope. She says this is best done in a horizontal position and during day so you can see what you are doing. I can't get the latitude scale to go below 30' which would give me a decent line of sight to focus on something in the distance. Am I missing something?

Jen

Thanks for reply. I am trying to align the polorscope reticule. Point it at a distant object, center in the crosshair, Turn the mount throuh Ra axis and if the object is has moved from crosshairs adjust the little screws so its centered again. But its daytime and Im pointing up at blue sky so I am trying to lower it to a more horizontal position to target something like a lampost or arial.

Jen

I just undid the two alan bolts that secure the small plate that holds the front adjustment screw. This allowed me to move the mount to zero degree - Not ideal I know, and it does beg the question on how you would use the scope if you lived less than 30 degree either side of the equator

Hi,

I agree that the whole alignment process can seem confusing. No basically you can use any day to set the mount. Just as the sun rises each morning, Polaris will reach it's transit position every 24 hrs, so you can use any day of the year Just as Astro baby uses 23:00 hrs in October).

Down load the pole Finder program from Free Polar Alignment Software Download Polar FinderScope by Dr. Dale Jason Version 2.04 It will give you the position of Polaris for any time of day. If you choose the option not to use the system clock you can enter times manually until you get one where the transit is close enough... then use that to set the dials up.

For today it appears to be 16:50 as the closest I could get.

Hope that helps

I got polaris lined up in the polarscope in the little circle according to where it should be on polarfinder app iphone. lined it up in telescope wieghts pointing toward floor all is good. kitchen lights go on followed by bathroom lights and it looks like blackpool illuminations now. I give up. I feel an observatory coming on up the other end of the garden

Jen

It's not essential to lower the mount.

I would also advise to do this with the mount set for zero elevation and with the polar scope almost horizontal. That way if you do end up having the reticule fall out it wont go too far.

Astrobaby's comment above are simply cautionary.

Jen, have you tried choosing a target near the roof (such as a TV aerial) for centring the polar scope? They usually have a reasonable elevation when viewed from the garden close to the house.

Alternatively, lower the RA axis to 30 deg, then extend the tripod legs to get it to horizontal. A few sandbags will help stabilise it.

Archived