Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron nexstar 127

Hi all, my first thread.

I'm currently looking into buying a scope and the above mentioned one took my eye, would this scope be adequete for deepish space objects?.

The scope sells for around $500 in America but living in Australia the best price i can purchase it for is $1350 :) (something which frustrates me seeing the Aussie $ is trading higher than the American $), i can understand a markup of 50% or so but 135% seems ridiculous, anyway any advice about the scope would be usefull.

Hi, Defender

I haven't actually received my ordered SW Skymax 127 yet (which is essentially the same scope as the Nexstar 127, both Maksutov-Cassegrains), but I have used a friend's, and done a LOT of research. So, if it helps:-

Maks are particularly good on Moon & planetary. The image will often tend to be brighter and more contrasty than an equivalent reflector.They are also good on the smaller, brighter DSOs. They are less good on the really, really, faint "fuzzies", but there again, so are most scopes unless they are big lightbuckets, such as, say, a 10 or 12-inch Newtonian reflector and upwards.

The reason for this is two-fold. The first is the field of view (FOV), which is comparatively narrow on a MAK. Meaning essentially that it may not be possible to fit the whole of a really big object in the viewfinder. The second is that a Mak 127 is a "slow" scope (about f.11 in the case of the Celestron), which means that it gathers less light in the same period as, say, a "fast" (f.5 or better) Newt or refractor.

But the fast scopes have their own drawbacks, not the least of which is the requirement for MUCH better quality eyepieces to get the best out of the scope, not to mention having to collimate (adjust the mirrors) quite frequently on a fast reflector. The latter will also tend to be quite big and unwieldy in use on a strong equatorial mount - unless you choose a dob mount (much easier, but not much use for astrophotography). And a fast refractor will tend to be quite big and heavy and hence will again require a more heavy-duty (and expensive) mount. Also, affordable fast refractors will be achromatic (subject to colour fringing around the viewed object, tho' this is less of an issue on DSOs). Apochromatic fast refractors (little or no colour fringing) are usually spectacularly expensive.

No colour fringing on a Mak 127!!

So, it is horses for courses, and there appears to be no such thing as the absolutely perfect all-round scope. You need to decide what interests you most. If you are ONLY interested in viewing very faint DSOs, a large-ish reflector would serve you better, and, if on a dob mount, would be in a similar price range.

For myself, I decided that a Mak 127 would be right for me, at least for the time being, whilst I am learning the trade. It's highly portable, and will actually get used!. And that's what counts :)

Cheers Cunhaval, I've actualy eliminated this scope from my list (just to expensive), looks like im going for a Ioptron 114mm (A model) or a celestron nextar 4SE, any advice on those would be welcoming too. cheers

Id love a dob, but the portabiltity is an issue.

Me too, that's why my decision has gone 127, 150P, 150PL, 200P DOB Flex, 150P back to 127....aarrgh!!!

I imagine I will go for the 127 in the end and maybe a DOB later this year but FLO are currently out of stock of the Celestron.

Stocks are low on Celestrons in Australia too, in fact most quality goto setups are, i was seriously considering an 8" goto dob for a while but they ran out of those too (i changed my mind on that anyway).

Can anyone tell if the maks are easier/harder to colimate compared to a str8 reflector?

Thanks steep, iv'e decided (finally) on the 6se, i pick it up saturday morning, it has severly stretched the budget though ($1499), but whats a few hundred over 2 or 3 yrs is my thinking.

Eye pieces.

This scope only comes with the one eye piece (25mm), I'll buy a 2x barlow and maybe 2 more EPs, any suggestions on what those 2 EPs should be?, i'll be looking at everything i can.

Power.

I have a jump starter pack in the shed charging now, it has the cigarette lighter insert, im thinking (hoping) this should be an adequete power source.

Thought i should mention to any fellow Aussies (Victorians) that Ozscopes are trying to flog this scope for $2099, the Telescope shop in Camberwell are selling it for $1499, ozscopes said they would price match it though, but still it's quite a markup, im going with the camberwell mob.

Good idea, go with the people who treat you honestly to start with, not the ones who promise to treat you honestly only if you notice you're being ripped off.

As for eyepieces I went for a good compromise, the Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom. All accounts and reviews I've read say it's a good lens and since it comes with 1.25 and 2 inch fittings it will stay with me through any scope changes I might make.

Archived