SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Bootstrapping....

Not at all...! As you said, it's a very faint object...

One question though, when saving from DSS, do you save with changes embedded or applied? I know that people use DSS differently, but when I saved with changes applied the result did appear to be much "brighter" than with changes embedded, but, for me, tended to give a "flatter" result in CS... It could just have been me, but after a few months playing about with that option, I've now decided to embed changes and do all the processing work in CS...

I have also given up trying to do any manipulation in DSS. As soon as it is stacked, I save the file (apply adjustments) and flip to PS.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As soon as it is stacked, I save the file (apply adjustments)...
Have you tried processing it and embedding the changes instead (I don't know what technical difference it makes though, but it seems to work better for me that way for some reason :)...)

Have you tried processing it and embedding the changes instead (I don't know what technical difference it makes though, but it seems to work better for me that way for some reason :)...)

I think (and it is only "think") that if you make no changes in DSS then it makes no difference if you embed or apply. It is only if you alter the images in DSS that these make a difference.

Have a look at another DSS tutorial here ....the author recommends LOTS of processing in DSS, and seems to get some very good results.

I suspect you're right - Maybe it's a personal thing. I've seen that link myself ( I suspect it's in my favourites!), but the 2 changes applied in that link I perform in CS using levels - I feel that the colour alignment (using the seperate channels) is easier in CS, but again, maybe it's a personal thing (and after all, what do I know!)

And as you say, I can't really see how it would really make any difference (although for me, for some reason, I felt it did... :))

That's great Dave, and thanks for taking the time.

How did you get this result?

No Problem. All processing was done using Photoshop CS3

Firstly in curves I selected the red channel only and reduced it as the local LP seems to be getting through

A couple more stretches in levels then curves using three anchor points one quite low down to control the background on in the middle and one near the top to stop blowing out the core

One iteration of Gradient exterminator plug in

selective nosie reduction using noisware plug in

star reduction

colour balance using selective colour tool and neutrals then a play with the sliders to get a better colour result

a bit of brightness/contrast adjustment

Dave

Archived