NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eyepieces and Warmbox

Hi All, tried to post this earlier but not sure if web connection went down at submission stage so I'll resend. Has anuone any comment or experience with storing eyepieces in a box or aluminium case with a handwarmer or hot water bottle inside to keep them above ambient???

Thanks

Bart

I keep mine in a foam lined case (Maplins) but I don't warm it. The foam seems to retain some heat which keeps the eyepieces a little warmer than their surroundings. I pop the foam lined lid down in between removing eyepeices. Seems to work OK.

thanks John, the last 2-3 weeks here (Cork) have been very cold, freezing in fact. i've been taking them out of the box and putting them in the holder between the tripod legs. i'll try keeping them in their box. thanks

Bart

A heat source will do no harm, I've considered it in the past. But just covering the eyepieces by putting them in a box with a lid is enough. I use an old camera bag with some foam inside to hold my eyepieces upright. If one steams up I put it in the bag uncapped and close the lid - after a short time it will be clear. This works in temperatures well below zero. But if you keep your eyepieces exposed on a scope rack in such conditions then they're sure to mist up.

I use a 12V heated doggie blanket ( about 900mm x 900mm) I got from Maplin's a couple of years ago.

I drape it over the 12" Lx in the observatory to keep the dew and moisture away and when observing it becomes a "heat pad" on the desk under the books and eyepieces etc - just enough warmth to do a great job....at the end of the night it goes back over the scope...majic!

Archived