Orion Centering Adapter doesn't fit

Hey all,

I bought one of these to hopefully help with my collimation and the ease of use with EP's etc. However when I come to put it in where the 2" to 1/25" adapter use to be, there is loads of play and a gap all around that light can escape though?

Clarify my stupidity?

Thanks, Adam.

Wow wow wow I am such a noob ha ha. Thanks so much guys although I couldn't feel more embarrassed right now!

I put the 2" adapter away because I never had any EPs for it... Now it works like a beaut, what a great quality but low cost purchase :)

Wow wow wow I am such a noob ha ha. Thanks so much guys although I couldn't feel more embarrassed right now!

I put the 2" adapter away because I never had any EPs for it... Now it works like a beaut, what a great quality but low cost purchase :)

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt - I posted lots of pics asking why my blooming EP didn't fit too! ;)

For anyone that may fall into the same trap (I doubt it) here is a pic of what should be okay. Now all I have to do is work out why my red dot laser is producing a rectangle instead of a dot, ho hum don't you just love collimation :)

IMG_7670.jpg

Hmm, to play devils advocate here ....

The Orion jobby is to help centre a 1.25 directly in the middle of a 2" without thumbscrews pushing the optic off centre yes?

Isn't the 2" adaptor going to push the Orion off centre, therefore removing any gain from using it?

I know someone that did that in the dark and promptly dropped a 2" EP straight through his focuser onto his secondard mirror! Ouch.

Owch! I did see the possibility of this happening when there was such a gap and I am glad I am not completely out of touch with a little common sense :)

Isn't the 2" adaptor going to push the Orion off centre, therefore removing any gain from using it?

You would think so but when you put the adapter inside the 2" it is an absolute hairline fit. I spoke to the shop guy I bought it from and he said they were machined to very high standards and I can believe that. So when you come to use the fixing screws they barely even move inwards and I could not see nor feel any movement within the 2" adapter.

Your query I also shared before buying it but for 30quid and a refund policy I thought you cannot argue with that and took a gamble.

You would think so but when you put the adapter inside the 2" it is an absolute hairline fit. I spoke to the shop guy I bought it from and he said they were machined to very high standards and I can believe that. So when you come to use the fixing screws they barely even move inwards and I could not see nor feel any movement within the 2" adapter.

Your query I also shared before buying it but for 30quid and a refund policy I thought you cannot argue with that and took a gamble.

Awesome :)

I figure that by collimating with it in and then only using 1.25" EP's or a camera in it keeps alignment as long as it is not moved itself.

Take it out to put say a 2" EP in and I guess you're back to square one.

Yeah I would think so. Fortunately I cannot afford a 2" ep so its all good :)

I have a problem with my laser collimator not producing a dot, more a rectangle of red light. Should I wait to see if someone can help here, or start a new topic?

Archived