Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Longer Dovetail Bar

G2EWS

Hi All,

Once I set up my DSLR camera on the 80ED the standard 8" dovetail bar was not long enough for me to balance it all.

I am guessing that if I buy a 13" bar:

SKY-WATCHER EQUATORIAL MOUNTING PLATES - by OVL

It will allow me to put the circular bracket that holds the scope inside the bar at one end, thereby giving me the ability to slide the scope with heavy DSLR further forward to give the balance I need.

So what I am trying to say is that one circular bracket will be screwed at the end and the other bracket say in the middle. The scope will then slide towards the end of the dovetail bar.

Gosh it makes sense when I am thinking about it, I hope you get what I mean!!

If not I will draw a diagram or take a photo.

What I want to know is if this is the correct way of getting balance with a small scope and heavy DSLR.

Many thanks for your help.

Best regards

Chris

Hi Mick,

Thanks for responding.

It is at the end of it's range, both with the current bar and the circular brackets.

A Nikon D3X is a very heavy bit of kit on the end of a relatively lightweight scope.

Best regards

Chris

I'd go for the extended dovetail bar because this would introduce the minimum of additional weight and keeping the total system weight down is a good thing. You can then attach the tube rings as required to achieve balance at the correct focus position with the DSLR attached. You can always drill additional 6.0 mm mounting holes in the new dovetail bar to suit.

Archived