NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Galloway Forest Park

Ewok

Hi all.

Both myself and my wife are hoping to spend some time at the dark sky site in Galloway forest park later on this year.

I was wondering if anyone had actually been here before and could suggest some accomodation or even the best observation points.

We have obviously retrieved quite alot of info from the net, but personal experience provides the best advice.

Failing that, does anyone have any other suggestions for sites they visited in or around Scotland. We hope to make it into a two week holiday if possible.

Thanks for reading and for any suggestions :(

Hi all.

Both myself and my wife are hoping to spend some time at the dark sky site in Galloway forest park later on this year.

I was wondering if anyone had actually been here before and could suggest some accomodation or even the best observation points.

We have obviously retrieved quite alot of info from the net, but personal experience provides the best advice.

Failing that, does anyone have any other suggestions for sites they visited in or around Scotland. We hope to make it into a two week holiday if possible.

Thanks for reading and for any suggestions :(

Hi, to be honest it's a case of pick a spot just about anywhere near tarmac. What I normally do is head out of Straiton on the Daily road then bear left after about 2 miles at a crossroad signposted 'Newton Stewart moor road' then continuing for a further 8 or so miles where I have a preferred spot. The whole length of the road has a plethora of safe places to tuck yourself away off the single track road. It is very quiet down there, the only passers by after dark are the forestry warden around 8 or 9pm and a couple of tractors. I normally stay there overnight in the camper.

Check out the google maps for paved roads.

Another personal favourite but a long way north is near Loch Shin about 5 miles outside Lairg, purely for it's fantastic horizon views. To be honest though once you are north of Perth you are totally spoilt for choice no matter where you end up.

As an alternate to Galloway and if you consider going further, i have just driven up from Lochearnhead to Altnaharra this evening. Apart from at Inverness and a couple of towns up the A9 I was treated to stunningly dark skies the entire way. Would rec just passed Killin - plenty places that give open views east south and west but remember that it is lighter for longer the further north you go.

My wife and I have just bought a cottage near Wigtown (get the keys a week today). I was initially a bit disappointed that we weren't in the forest park but a dark sky map I saw suggests that the Machars peninsula (where we are) is darker, particularly the Western side. Some nice beaches round there as well. But, TBH, the whole area is nice and mostly very dark. Loads of small, quaint towns and very, very peaceful. Enjoy.

Martin

Archived