SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

HEQ5 PRO SYNSCAN

I am wanting to buy, new or secondhand, "hopefully" the HEQ5 Pro Synscan Goto,

but i have a celestron C6 scope plus an older Skywatcher 200mm, both different fitting.

Would the C6 fit straight onto the Mount or would a different saddle be required!

The older 200mm has a ring & plate system Not a dove tail, so would i need an alternative for this also.

What else would be needed, or thats not supplied, power cable & connection cable someone told me they are not supplied but extra?

Any help/advise appreciated

Shaun

:(

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shaun,

Can't comment on the mounts, other than when I was looking at options Rother Valley suggested the same OTA with an EQ5 or HEQ5 so guess the dovetail would simply drop in and be held in the same was as Explorer OTA's are.

You get a power cable for running from a car 12v supply via a cigarette lighter socket, but no mains powered supply. All you need is a 12v centre tip positive power block that is rated at 2 amps - I had a suitable unit left over from a faulty router so use that as the Skywatcher one is £20 - £30. You also get an RS232 serial cable for hooking the controller up to a PC for controlling the mount from a PC and suitable software (freeware), and it doubles up for flashing the firmware in the handset.

Hope that helps

If you have a newish C6 then it probably has the right fitting for the standard vixen dovetail on the HEQ5. My recently purchased HEQ5 syntrek came with a spare dovetail, so you could use that to attach to the rings of the 200. If you buy secondhand and don't get a dovetail, they are quite cheap to buy.

Helen

Ah, sorry.

I bought mine second hand and didn't get one at all.

That is exactly what i mean, all suppliers seem to be different with their inclusions!!!

I would have thought if you buy a goto, then would get all that is required to use, not have to buy extra, but looking at it it does seem you get the power supply, which i was told you dont by one supplier.

At over £700.00 i need to make sure and get everything, cant go "cap in hand" to the wife and ask for more permission.

Shaun

Are you sure you get a power supply?

I didn't get one and never seen one advertised where you get one. You do get a power lead with a cigar lighter connection but no supply.

I would think the only time you would get a dovetail bar with the mount would be when you bought one in a package with a telescope because not all dovetails are suitable for all telescopes due to size.

You are more likely to get a dovetail supplied with a telescope with the correct rings.

Right place right time... and paying attention :)

Syntrek%20Proof.jpg

No tripod and no counter weights (missed that lot).. and no idea if it was faulty or not... But it lives on a pier and I use the weights from the EQ3 Pro... also at a push fits the EQ3-pro tripod... I also swap the handsets between the two mounts dependign on what I am upto and run them from EQMod...

Both my EQ6 (bought a couple of years ago) and my HEQ5 (just bought) have had a dovetail in the box with the mount, as well as a cable to attach to a power supply (but no power supply) and the cable to attach to the PC (although you'll need a serial port or a serial-to-USB adapter to use it).

Helen

It's only within the last week or so that I've realised SynScan/GOTO mounts don't ordinarily come with a power supply! As I understand it, the mounts are supplied with a lead with a cigar lighter plug on the end (which thus means you need a power tank or nearby car to plug in to!).

Pulsar Optical/Astronomy & Nature centre/Scopes 'n Skies are currently offering the EQ5 Pro Synscan with an "observatory kit" which includes a mains 12v 1.2A supply, or you can get suitable mains supplies from Modern Astronomy

Pulsar Optical/Astronomy & Nature centre/Scopes 'n Skies are currently offering the EQ5 Pro Synscan with an "observatory kit" which includes a mains 12v 1.2A supply, or you can get suitable mains supplies from Modern Astronomy

Which is strange as when slewing my 200P on an EQ-5 the actual current draw is around 1.8A when both axis are moving at the same time, and just over an amp when slewing just the RA.

12v 2A would be the minimum I would recommend for the EQ mounts - I'm using a 2A switching supply that came with a now defunct network switch which works fine

Edit: just re-checked and the SynScan manual states 12v 2 Amp minimum continuous current rating for the mains power supply

Which is strange as when slewing my 200P on an EQ-5 the actual current draw is around 1.8A when both axis are moving at the same time, and just over an amp when slewing just the RA.

12v 2A would be the minimum I would recommend for the EQ mounts - I'm using a 2A switching supply that came with a now defunct network switch which works fine

Edit: just re-checked and the SynScan manual states 12v 2 Amp minimum continuous current rating for the mains power supply

In which case the 100/240V AC Input 12V DC 5A Output psu from Modern Astronomy looks to fit the bill.

Once I've got my EQ5 I'll probably be using it at home most of the time, so a mains -> 12V adapter will suit me fine.

I am wanting to buy, new or secondhand, "hopefully" the HEQ5 Pro Synscan Goto,

but i have a celestron C6 scope plus an older Skywatcher 200mm, both different fitting.

Would the C6 fit straight onto the Mount or would a different saddle be required!

The older 200mm has a ring & plate system Not a dove tail, so would i need an alternative for this also.

What else would be needed, or thats not supplied, power cable & connection cable someone told me they are not supplied but extra?

Any help/advise appreciated

Shaun

:)

Looking at the prices and the current time of recession and austerity!!, i was looking at the EQ5 goto, is a lot cheaper than HEQ5 goto, but can someone tell me do the benefits of the HEQ5 really warrant the extra hundreds?

I would like to do some imaging, with Dslr & or webcam, and was originally buying with the future in mind, BUT is the HEQ5 the one that is really needed, i see a lot use the EQ5, all with good results.

I guess the extra is for the increase load and stability, but is the stability that much different, or should i consider the celestron CG-5 GT GOTO.

Shaun

Shaun,

I think the cost is down to several things, most of which you mention. Also all the electronics and motors are contained within the mount where as the EQ-5 has them externally, so some of the cost has gone in to that design. But I have to agree, the difference between the HEQ5 and EQ-5 does seem a lot just for neatness of design and the ability to carry double the capacity (upto 18kg). As for the stability, I'm not sure, I would of expected the tripod legs to be 2" diameter like those used on the Celestron CG-5 mount, rather then smaller 1.75" found on the EQ-5

Shaun,

I think the cost is down to several things, most of which you mention. Also all the electronics and motors are contained within the mount where as the EQ-5 has them externally, so some of the cost has gone in to that design. But I have to agree, the difference between the HEQ5 and EQ-5 does seem a lot just for neatness of design and the ability to carry double the capacity (upto 18kg). As for the stability, I'm not sure, I would of expected the tripod legs to be 2" diameter like those used on the Celestron CG-5 mount, rather then smaller 1.75" found on the EQ-5

Hi Malcom,

It is a mine field, and an expensive one, most people say skywatcher mount, with only two suggesting the celestron, i am trying to sort out things before buying, got permission to buy but need to get it right, in the same situation with EP's too, need to get a range but not sure what or how to work out which ones.

Lot of investigating to be done!

Shaun

Shuan,

There are a few large telescope shops in the SE, and the Widescreen Centre in London. I would suggest going along to one and compare scopes that take your fancy in "the flesh" so to speak.

Personally for the record, I started looking at the Celestron 5SE, then looked at the C6-SGT, which was right on the edge of my budget (at the time I had a price match offer at £850). I visited my nearest stockest one Saturday, who had the 4SE, 6SE and an SW Explorer 200PDS on an EQ-5 goto. - Not saying that the 4SE is not a good scope, but in the flesh it seems so small, so I discounted that. The 6SE was nice sized, but when the guy demonstrated the goto the noise the thing made was to my mind, far too loud and would be extremely anoying late at night in the back garden. I discounted the 200PDS as the price tag that retailer had it up for was out of my range, but the drive was a lot quieter. I therefor opted for the C6-SGT as I liked the size of the OTA and what the CG-5 mount offered. However due to stock problems and the fact that I later discovered the CG-5 also made the same loud noise when slewing I canceled my order. The search then started over again, and found the 200P EQ5 goto on offer for just over £650 from Rother Valley, and whilst every other retailer advised stocks were due in 6 weeks, Rother Valley could deliver in 10-14 days. The deal was done and I must say that I'm really happy with my purchase.

I've used it twice, and had results with both the NexImage camera and (better) with the DSLR camera. The mount handles the weigh of the camera, even when its not close to the tube at prime focus. I've (hopefully) managed to polar align the mount so next time I'll concentrate on setting up the goto and see how that fairs... For me, the 200P EQ-5 goto is just what I was looking for. It's also quiet in operation and I've had no interference from the folk next door when it's gone midnight and I'm slewing the scope around :)

Now I'm not saying that this scope is ideal for you... or anyone else as we all have different expectations and goals... but you get a lot of scope for your money and I don't expect to be looking at replacing it in the next 20 years or more !

Shuan,

There are a few large telescope shops in the SE, and the Widescreen Centre in London. I would suggest going along to one and compare scopes that take your fancy in "the flesh" so to speak.

Personally for the record, I started looking at the Celestron 5SE, then looked at the C6-SGT, which was right on the edge of my budget (at the time I had a price match offer at £850). I visited my nearest stockest one Saturday, who had the 4SE, 6SE and an SW Explorer 200PDS on an EQ-5 goto. - Not saying that the 4SE is not a good scope, but in the flesh it seems so small, so I discounted that. The 6SE was nice sized, but when the guy demonstrated the goto the noise the thing made was to my mind, far too loud and would be extremely anoying late at night in the back garden. I discounted the 200PDS as the price tag that retailer had it up for was out of my range, but the drive was a lot quieter. I therefor opted for the C6-SGT as I liked the size of the OTA and what the CG-5 mount offered. However due to stock problems and the fact that I later discovered the CG-5 also made the same loud noise when slewing I canceled my order. The search then started over again, and found the 200P EQ5 goto on offer for just over £650 from Rother Valley, and whilst every other retailer advised stocks were due in 6 weeks, Rother Valley could deliver in 10-14 days. The deal was done and I must say that I'm really happy with my purchase.

I've used it twice, and had results with both the NexImage camera and (better) with the DSLR camera. The mount handles the weigh of the camera, even when its not close to the tube at prime focus. I've (hopefully) managed to polar align the mount so next time I'll concentrate on setting up the goto and see how that fairs... For me, the 200P EQ-5 goto is just what I was looking for. It's also quiet in operation and I've had no interference from the folk next door when it's gone midnight and I'm slewing the scope around :)

Now I'm not saying that this scope is ideal for you... or anyone else as we all have different expectations and goals... but you get a lot of scope for your money and I don't expect to be looking at replacing it in the next 20 years or more !

I got the C6 as a OTA only, so no mount but on our 200mm F5 i have mount which i just useable, but is unstable, hence the need to upgrade, unlike yourself i have had no success with webcam or camera, the mount doesnt track, which makes it very awkward, more success from the tripod and lens.

The book make every photon count is very good, good insight into settings etc, but it didnt cover planetary, on DSI, i couldnt get jupitor to show on laptop, via webcam, using sharpcap or wxastro, so need to find the settings.

But the bins are usefull, and gets the wife and son involved, need another pair no though.

Shaun

Archived