NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Fixings advice sought

I've had my WO Megrez 72 for a couple of months now. It's a fabulous piece of kit and I've had a few good viewing sessions, even managing some images of the Moon. However, I've found that my camera tripod is far from ideal for imaging, to say the least (scope+DSLR is just at the limit of the tripod I have!), making achieving focus with DSLR or webcam rather tricky, so I'm considering getting a SkyWatcher EQ5 Pro SynScan mount.

What I'd like to know is what additional bits and pieces would I need to attach the scope to the mount? Presumably I need a dovetail bar and some 1/4" bolts to fasten the scope's L-bracket to the dovetail? I see there are a number of different sized/design dovetails available from various suppliers but there's no mention of whether they are supplied with fixings (nuts, bolts).

I may also be getting a SkyWatcher 150PL OTA sometime in the (more distant :( ) future. Would I be correct in assuming that would come with its own dovetail+tube rings?

You should be able to use the Megrez72 foot as a dovetail. The only problem you may have (and I'd try the scope first before buying anything else) is balance. The foot isn't very big and so doesn't give you much flexibility to move the scope in the dovetail holder to achieve balance. If you need a dovetail, some come with fixings, others don't, so its best to check with your supplier first.

HTH

Helen

Thanks Helen. I did wonder whether the foot was designed to fit a skywatcher/similar mount. I know what you mean about balance - there are only two locations on the foot that I can attach my QR plate to and neither really cover the balance point regardless of whether a DSLR is attached or not :-S.

It looks like the WO dovetail plate might be the way to go

I had a similar, but different need..to mount a PST onto a HEQ5.

It has the camera tripod mounting pad with the 1/4" threaded hole.

I found a short (6"? or 8") vixen dovetail which fitted the HEQ5 BUT when I used a standard 1/4" bolt to fit them together it fouled the mounting puck....needed a countersunk 1/4" bolt and the bottom of the dovetail drilled countersunk to recess the head of the bolt before I got a satisfactory solution.

Archived