Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

UFO - Iridium flare??

I mean the official meaning of UFO - a flying object that has not been identified...

I saw this on Saturday night at 18.55. The sky was very hazy - the crescent moon was barely visible. I looked directly up towards the North and saw a bright light about the magnitude of Jupiter in a clear sky, which was moving quite slowly. It faded very quickly as soon as I saw it. I would estimate the altitude to be 80°.

I assumed it to be an iridium flare - it fitted the description perfectly. However, HeavensAbove.com listed no iridium flares at this time.

Could it have been an IF that HA didn't list, or could it have been something else?

Andrew

just found this, seems there was 3 pairs of Iridium sats near 90 deg on the 5th at 18.55.

13, 90 and 16. 16 being the odds on fav. They usually run in pairs so if 1 packs up they switch to the other 'backup' sat.

Heavensat - Visual satellite observing program

This is what i use not very user friendly but once setup can't be beat.

hope this helps

Glen

Archived