NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EL Panel Question

Catanonia

I am looking to build a light box using EL panels and have seen these

EL Panels

I know these are the ones people tend to use, but a quick question.

Do they come with a dimmer control. Ie allow you to reduce the brightness of the panel ?

The reason is I need to have a really dim light for the QHY9 flats that tend to be around 10seconds to get a good flat.

Anyone bought one of these and can answer or has anyone modded one to incorporate a dimmer control ?

These don't come with a dimmer adjustment but they do come with a 12v to 115v inverter - you could supply a voltage of less than 12v to the inverter to dim the display.

ok a bit too complicated for me really and especially for £90

Looks like a traditional light box design for me with LED and a potential pot.

I have never had the need to dim mine so I am not sure that it is an issue anyway, however, a simple manner of dimming is to buy a sheet of white acrylic sheet from a sign shop and put that in between the camera and the EL panel. This sheet is available in various opacities.

I have never had the need to dim mine so I am not sure that it is an issue anyway, however, a simple manner of dimming is to buy a sheet of white acrylic sheet from a sign shop and put that in between the camera and the EL panel. This sheet is available in various opacities.

I need the ability to use a pot to dim the display as you would on a laptop such as i currently use.

Believe me it is necessary with a QHY and machanical shutter.

I've just tried this with my EL panel. I can dim it by reducing the input voltage. It comes on at around 2.5-3Volt and is very very dim. Then with increasing voltage it gets brighter and brighter. There's an odd jump in brightness at around 7 Volts. For some reason it gets a bit dimmer. Then increases again as I raise the voltage further.

It should be a simple circuit. A LM317 and a handful of components should do the trick. PM me if you want me to solder you one together... ;-)

Hi Cat

I made a very simple lightbox using the box the EL sheet was delivered in.

My diy skills are not very good, so I i can make this simple box, anyone can :(

I tried a variable voltage power supply and it does go dimmer the less voltage supplied.

See my thread here

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-tips-tricks-techniques/128700-flats-using-el-sheet.html

Greenkat

Hi Cat

I made a very simple lightbox using the box the EL sheet was delivered in.

My diy skills are not very good, so I i can make this simple box, anyone can :(

I tried a variable voltage power supply and it does go dimmer the less voltage supplied.

See my thread here

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-tips-tricks-techniques/128700-flats-using-el-sheet.html

Greenkat

perfect thanks mate.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived