Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepiece query

good evening all, I have set up my sw 150p and while aligning the finder scope with the main scope , I put a 25mm ep in focuser but was unable to focus on a distant object, but when I move the ep 10mm out of the focuser tube it will focus but only at the maximum extent of the focuser is this right or am I doing something wrong.The same thing happens when I put the 2x Barlow in as well.:)

Are you pointing the scope at terrestrial objects? With many scopes an object needs to be very far away for the scope to reach focus. Pulling the eyepiece outwards to increase out-focus distance is not unusual under these circumstances. You aren't doing anything wrong and there's nothing wrong with your scope.

Some EPs I've used, wouldn't even focus with the focuser fully extended, I had to pull them a few mm out of the focuser to get them to focus. So that's normal, I think. To be honest I never asked, just assumed it was normal. :)

Hi,

I'm sorry I can't say why you can't bring the 25mm EP to focus.

I have just received the same scope as yourself, and found no difficulty in bringing the supplied 25mm eyepiece to focus on a distant chimney stack. Having focussed with the 25mm EP and aligned the finder with this I then went to the 10mm EP and aligned this and then inserted the Barlowx2 and fine tuned the finder. I then aligned on Polaris to get it spot on.

Hope you get it sorted and enjoy your scope.

Alan.

Try this link for collimation info Astro Babys Guide to Collimation

I would give it a go at night before you mess with your mirrors just to make sure. When the moon is up you can easily align the finder and it is a good habit to learn to do it at night as if you accidentally knock the finder while observing you wouldn't want to wait until daylight to re-align it.

SPACEBOY

Archived