NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Guiding-Webcam-Connectivity

Due to funding a 4 week wait until I'm able to order a Starlight Xpress SXV Exview Guide camera. In the meantime I'd like to play around with and setup some different software, ie EQmod, PHD etc.

I have a webcam I can use as a temp guider (on a SW ST102) but I'm unsure how to connect it. With the Starlight it will connect to the ST4 on the mount, and USB on the laptop. With the webcam I only have USB of course.

The webcam signal will use the USB to laptop as normal, but how do the mount receive the signal from the laptop. The only way I can think of is via the socket (serial I think) on the hand set or a USB to ST4 direct.

Many thanks

Thanks Kev. EQDir is a piece of hardware isn't it. I really did not want to buy any more gear, but use what I have as it is only a stopgap.

What does EQDir actually do. Is it just a hardware converter or does it have firmware built in.

Thanks Kev. EQDir is a piece of hardware isn't it. I really did not want to buy any more gear, but use what I have as it is only a stopgap.

What does EQDir actually do. Is it just a hardware converter or does it have firmware built in.

The EQDir module converts the serial output to the TTL signal levels that the mount needs. There is a lot of info on the EQMOD website EQMOD

Thank again Kev. I can control the mount no problem with EQMod via the handset and USB/Serial cable. It's getting PHD and a webcam to guide it that is the problem. Hope I'm explaining myself properly. :)

Thank again Kev. I can control the mount no problem with EQMod via the handset and USB/Serial cable. It's getting PHD and a webcam to guide it that is the problem. Hope I'm explaining myself properly. :)

Take a look at the 2nd diagram and the note on ST-4 that Merlin66 supplied. I think it should work with the hardware you have?

Archived