different mounts

Allmost ready to make a move for a scope and decided on a sky watcher 200p on a eq mount,then reading Nightwatch i was turned to a Dob mount because of the ease of use,no polar alignment ready to go set up.I dont intend to use it for imaging so can anybody tell me if OTA is the same as sold with each mount,thanks.

The 200P Dobsonian has a slightly longer focal length than the tube sold for mounting on the EQ mounts. This results in slightly easier set-up (not as critical as the shorter tube f/5 type, and slightly higher magnification for the same eyepiece.

You may find that you could get a 250mm dob for around the same budget? Aparture rules for DSO's!

Hi Ken,

I went through the same dilemma as you so I bought the dob and converted it so I could mount it on my EQ5 as well.Don't know whether you might have already seen the pics 'cos I've posted them before.As you can see, I made a clamshell to fit the tube assembly for use as a dob.Its just a case of undoing two clips and slipping it onto the EQ5.I still use it in dob mode mostly though.

Cheers. John.

post-13373-133877528029_thumb.jpg

post-13373-133877528033_thumb.jpg

Wow,thans for the pics john,was making the clam straight forward,and you say you still mainly use the dob so would i best just stick with the dob? will i be missing out not using a EQ mount?.Sorry about all the questions:o, Ken.

my dob was one of the earlier ones with plastic trunions bolted to the tube.I guess the new ones just have pegs so you might get away without having to make a clamshell. I tend to use the dob for deep sky and equatorial for the moon / planets.

• 1 year later...
Hi Ken,

I went through the same dilemma as you so I bought the dob and converted it so I could mount it on my EQ5 as well.Don't know whether you might have already seen the pics 'cos I've posted them before.As you can see, I made a clamshell to fit the tube assembly for use as a dob.Its just a case of undoing two clips and slipping it onto the EQ5.I still use it in dob mode mostly though.

Cheers. John.

Another "Wow!" from me. I have the 200p and agonised over how to mount it for weeks b4 i actually bought it. Your clever compromise shoulda won you a prize.

Should market the idea - it gives the 200p amazing versatilty.

*Jumps up and down* "I want one, I want one!"

Jay

Archived