Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Leisure Battery For Power

I had my 110ah Leisure Battery out of my old camper on charge last weekend and after a week it looks like it's OK (not lost any charge).

I'm thinking of using to power my scope what connection do I need, is it just a 12v cigarette socket?

Our scope came with a 100ah leisure battery. It is housed in a box like this one

Numax Deluxe Battery Box (Accubox) - Leisure Batteries - Numax Leisure Batteries

although it is branded as Ace. The previous owner has modified the box to house another cigarette lighter socket, and we charge it using a car charger (the inteligent type with maintenance mode).

I have been experimenting lately to see how long it will last between charges. I have been running the dew heater at 80%, and by my calculations the scope and dew heater are pulling around 3 amps per hour. I have managed to get 5 sessions, with the scope switched on for about 4-5 hours each time. The in-built charge indicator was still registering around 60%. It's not too heavy really, and if you have to go for long periods between charges then this kind of setup works well.

Those boxes are forty quid! You could make the plywood version for much less and then size it and fit to taste. I do have a plastic box and, quite honestly, its a bit of a pain. The "fixtures and fittings" inside take up far more space than they need to - leaving little for extras - and the lid is held on with a webbing strap which is not shown in the pictures and quite surprised me when it arrived!! (I was a newbie then and had bought it without advice) It is quite difficult to carry as the "handles" are inacessable if the lid strap is on.

I'd save my money and make my own (Which I will do - its a long way down my things to do list at the moment!)

The "fixtures and fittings" inside take up far more space than they need to - leaving little for extras - and the lid is held on with a webbing strap which is not shown in the pictures and quite surprised me when it arrived!!

Right thanks for that the web strapping does sound a bit of a pain when coming to move it as they are quite heavy and so the box with the broom handle does seem the way to go, and as you say there will be space to add more sockets if needed.

I think I'll go the diy route. :)

Those boxes are forty quid! You could make the plywood version for much less and then size it and fit to taste. I do have a plastic box and, quite honestly, its a bit of a pain. The "fixtures and fittings" inside take up far more space than they need to - leaving little for extras - and the lid is held on with a webbing strap which is not shown in the pictures and quite surprised me when it arrived!! (I was a newbie then and had bought it without advice) It is quite difficult to carry as the "handles" are inacessable if the lid strap is on.

I'd save my money and make my own (Which I will do - its a long way down my things to do list at the moment!)

I carry mine using the webbing strap. It works well as a handle.

I'm sure you are right about the ply box being a better option, but the ply would cost around £10, and I guess about another £10 for the various fittings such as terminal clamps, isolator switch, voltage meter, power outlet, and then there is the time taken to make it and finish it properly. Looking at it that way, then £40 doesn't seem such a bad price to me.

Archived