NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eyepieces for Heritage 130p

Well I think we finally arrive at the last question regarding the purchasing of new equipment from me.

I have a set of revelation eyepieces which I got cheaply with my old scope, containing :

"Branded with the Revelation stamp, this set of eye pieces consists of 6 four-element 52 degree Plossls, all multi-coated and all with filter threads and rubber eye cups. Included in the set are 6 colour filters, one of which is a ND96 Moon filter. The filters are Wratten #56 #8 #15a #23a #80a. They all come presented in a lockable foam filled case, which is quite sturdy and seems up to the job. The eyepiece sizes are 6, 10, 12, 15, 20 and 32mm"

I am looking to improve my EP collection with these 2 EP's :

TMB clone planetary 5mm (x130) or 4mm (x162.5) - is x162 going to push a 130p too far.

BST Explorer 18mm (x36)

Will these be big enough improvements optically to justify the cost?

Should I just get one £70-80 EP instead? (considering I won't buy any more for sometime)

Any other thoughts and recommendations?

Can't comment on the ep's but I have used my Heritage at x150 and the views were good I reckon it would go to x162 but beyond that your pushing it. I tend to use mine most with a 19mm Panoptic and sweep around the sky enjoying the 2 degree field of view.

I've tried a 5mm TMB clone in a Heritage 130p and it's always been great, I also tried a 3.2 a couple of times but the views were probably just past the limits of seeing at the time and not quite as sharp, I think the 4mm should be fine though and even the 3.2 on nights of better seeing.

I have used the Heritage @ 162.5X (4mm Omni EP ) and that really was pushing it to the max (great lunar views though). We dont get enough nights of excellent seeing conditions to use that high a magnification.

If i were you i would forget 4mm EP. 5mm will be fine. The scope is very happy @ 130X.

Instead of 18mm...............i'd go for 12-15mm.

P.S.~~these are superb EP's at a very good price.

http://firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=Vixen_NPL

Ive never used a 18mm EP but its not too far off of a 20mm which i find too low a mag for planets. Many people say they use a 12-15mm for observing planets. I personally use a 9mm for planets.

Also you have 32mm and plan on a 5-6mm? A 12-15mm would sit nicely between both of those.

Just my opinion. I am not an expert or even a seasoned observer.

So realising that I am going to have to spend £25 on a chesire EP means I will only buy 1 EP to expand my Revelation plossl set. So considering that I have this set, what area of observing should I buy a better quality EP for? Will wide-field, DSO's or planets see a better jump from these plossl's?

I am leaning towards getting a planetary EP (prob the TMB clone above) because often planets will be what I show other non astronomers, and also I don't think the 6mm is quite enough mag for planets, where as a 32mm plossl is at max FOV for 1.25".

Archived