Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Moon Photo

TJSnapper

Hi everyone,

I've just joined the forum here and thought I would kick things off with, ( I am ashamed to say), the only image I have of anything not remotely astro based!

Taken last year with my Gf's 10D and 170-500 Sigma handheld @500mm 1/500, f5.6 ISO200, not the best gear but mine kit was at my house not hers :)

I realise now that it was not the best way to take the shot and that there are no stars visible, i will do better next time :)

C&C welcome.

Thanks

post-24345-133877527255_thumb.jpg

Hi Tristan, that's not a bad shot of the moon with that setup. I don't think you'll manage to get a decently exposed moon and stars in a single exposure... the dynamic Range is just way too high.

How did you process it ?

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate the dynamic range is too great, might have to wait 20+ years if ever for DSLR or whatever is about then, to get to that sort of dynamic range :)

It was shot in RAW (CR2) then a small tweek in PSCS3 on a Macbook Pro. (Is having a mac an issue when it comes to stacking progs?).

To be honest, I had just been given a peek at the moon through a friend's scope at the moon and seen it in amazing detail, only to be disappointed with the magnification of the 500mm on a DSLR :). I only have a 400 f2.8L at home but maybe the quality of the lens will produce a better image. I have a bunch of DSLR cameras at home and am really keen to get one of them bolted onto something other than a camera lens. A lot of learning to do first though.

Tristan

Hi Tristan, that's not a bad shot of the moon with that setup. I don't think you'll manage to get a decently exposed moon and stars in a single exposure... the dynamic Range is just way too high.

How did you process it ?

Ok, I guess it's the crop. If you have a TC, stick that in with the lens... 800mm will work nicely. Actually, camera lenses work really well (primes especially)... if you can mount your camera and the 400mm on a decent tracking mount, especially if it's good to the corners at f/2.8 or close, that'll work really well for widefields of things like M45 and M31...

Thanks for that, I will try the 1.4X TC and 400mm on a 1DMkIIn unless I can steal my old man's 350D for the smaller sensor hence greater magnification. I was looking at an astrotrack to pop onto a tripod, any suggestions/ comments? I was initially looking at wide field astrophotography as I have some kit, so thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Thanks I might look into it again, I am being persuaded by others to go down the HEQ5 / 6 route :( especially as I would like to get into astrophotography! Make every photo count has just arrived this morning so I have a couple of days reading ahead :)

Archived