True North & Compass North ?

Just a quick question please.......

My dealer set up my new Meade LX90 Goto and told me when I set it up myself I should use Magnetic North . When I switched the computer on it asks me wether I want to align to True North or Compass North ? Am I righ in thinking that Compass North is Magnetic North ?

So if it's bit of a thicko question !

If you're in the UK the two are close enough that you can forget the difference, for the purpose of setting up a LX90, but not for navigating across trackless terrain.

A magnetic compass points to magnetic north but electronic compasses (usually driven from sat-nav systems) usually point to true north.

True north is aimed at the pole star whereas magnetic north points at the north pole. There's a small difference as mentioned, which should make little difference for observing, but will do if imaging on a wedge. But I guess you know that. :)

Magnetic North is never the same from one year to the next, due to the rotation of the Earth and the magnetic fields do not flow is straight lines.

For lining up your scope, getting the OTA centered on Polaris should be enough for a good nights viewing.

However if you want to do some long exposer AP then you need to align to True North

Archived