Cone to Rosette in First Light image.

ollypenrice

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very nice once again Olly. The Ha will no doubt improve it, are you going to 'registar in' the FSQ cone image?

Interesting patch of blue (reflection nebula?) above the cone area.

Jordan.

Cheers Jordan, the FSQ images are already in there, pretty lightly.

I will put in the final dose at the end but I don't want it to look artificial.

dc509, yes it is a Canon prime lens and a good one, I'd say. Sharp to the edge but a killer to focus at f3-ish..

Olly

Wow... :) Having recently attempted to image these both separately, it's amazing to see them both in the same FOV -Stunning!

PS - What IS that "Interesting patch of blue (reflection nebula?) above the cone area"?

I think it's... an interesting patch of blue reflection nebulosity! Homework time. Here is what SkyMap Pro 11 has to say and I agree it is a nice object and worth a closer look in a big scope one day.

Names and designations

IC 447

IC 2169

LBN 903

Catalog information

Type of object: Reflection nebula

RA (J2000.0): 06h 31m 00.3s

Dec (J2000.0): +9° 53' 51"

Size: 25.0'x20.0'

Classification: RN

Olly

I don't know how you do it, Olly. These images you're putting out are incredible. Love the detail of the wide field - it will help me find the objects now :)

I am also intrigued by the blue nebulosity at the top left. This target may make a good change to imaging M45 :)

I don't know how you do it, Olly. These images you're putting out are incredible. Love the detail of the wide field - it will help me find the objects now :)

I am also intrigued by the blue nebulosity at the top left. This target may make a good change to imaging M45 :)

Attaboy, Mike! It looks like it would just squeeze onto the chip using our TEC140, along with three little nearby nebulae just visible in the image above.

So many targets even with two rigs blazing!!

Olly

Thanks for the info Olly - A quick google search on IC447 images and I got this page IC2169, IC -2169 Pictures by [removed word] Locke

Looks interesting, but as you said, it looks like a "big scope" object :)

Thanks to you too for the link. I can just about squeeze most of that onto the chip using the TEC I think. Alas I have just taken it off the mount for Pieter to use the FSQ on his last night but I will certainly get back to that one. It looks nice and seems quite bright.

Hoping for Ha for my Rosette-Cone on the other mount...

Olly

It's a bit good that Olly, dare I ask if you're going to join it onto the Orion epic?

Tony..

One day, if I'm spared! (Unlikely in view of the life of irreverend debauchery to which I have steadfastly devoted myself...:))

The Ha is looking great though. Wonderful to see how it all links up in this part of the sky. Monoceros is no one's visual favourite but the imaging is wizard. Pieter VdeV is on NGC2170 with our Tak and his own TeleVue and that is a great object but as faint as an apology in the House of Commons.

Olly

Hi Olly,

awesome, very awesome!!!

I have the EF200L too and I have these objects on my list. Your result is an extraordinary good reference for me!

Cheers

Werner

Hi Werner, I think you posted something done with your lens? I think it is incredible.

Olly

As this Canon EF-200L lens is obviously seriously good at producing the goods I just thought I'd look it up to see if it was something I might be able to sort of sneak in under the radar... Somehow, I don't think it would fit under MY radar, let alone the wife's!

I've therefore had to assign this to the "oh how I wish..." wishlist - Olly / Werner - You have my never ending envy - It truly is a stunning lens and you obviously both know how to use it!

As this Canon EF-200L lens is obviously seriously good at producing the goods I just thought I'd look it up to see if it was something I might be able to sort of sneak in under the radar... Somehow, I don't think it would fit under MY radar, let alone the wife's!

I've therefore had to assign this to the "oh how I wish..." wishlist - Olly / Werner - You have my never ending envy - It truly is a stunning lens and you obviously both know how to use it!

Mine was five hundred pounds from London camera exchange second hand. Not a bad price for really classy flatfield astrograph but highly visible on the radar, for sure. Monique is not a technical whizz on the radar front but she is a woman so ... she knows!

Olly

Mine was five hundred pounds from London camera exchange second hand
Wow, that was a bargain...! That would certainly bring it back within the realms of being on my REAL wishlist (but obviously still well above the radar ;)).

Having said that, I did manage to slip in my Equinox 80 - It's been sitting in its case in the dining room for about 3 weeks now :p. As someone once said, if you want to hide something, hide it in plain view (but make sure you catch the postman first ;)!)

I'll make it up to her though - I'm not that selfish - honest! (Maybe she'd like a nice new hoover? Iron? Dishwasher? :) OUCH!!! :))

Wow, that was a bargain...! That would certainly bring it back within the realms of being on my REAL wishlist (but obviously still well above the radar ;)).

Having said that, I did manage to slip in my Equinox 80 - It's been sitting in its case in the dining room for about 3 weeks now :p. As someone once said, if you want to hide something, hide it in plain view (but make sure you catch the postman first ;)!)

I'll make it up to her though - I'm not that selfish - honest! (Maybe she'd like a nice new hoover? Iron? Dishwasher? :) OUCH!!! :))

Don't confuse this lens, which is about 700 new, with the multi thousand pound f-one point-something professional version...

Olly

Ahhhh.... I think I may well have been (£5k+... Drool). Seeing the rest of the equipment that you run from Les Granges, I just naturally assumed...! Thanks for the clarification Olly - I'll have another look

A CN post seemed to suggest that the mortgage-needing version was hardly any different for astronomy because you can't use the extra speed on stars anyway. Besides I doubt you'd ever get it to critical focus. It is a ten minute job as it is and if you weren't in focus what would you gain?

HaRGB provisional version coming up.

Olly

Archived