remote goto control (distance wiring / protocols etc )

I'm an electrician and i'm quite good with pc and networks too.

so running cables and selecting types etc are not a problem.

what i do need to know is how such a system would be best implemented.

as a neebie looking at a goto system primarily it has a hand controller. Q: can the system be controlled via pc?

my quick theory of operation is laptop local to scope and then remotely and wirelessly i would control the laptop ( such as goto my pc or logmein ) or may even setup pc to pc via ethernet if that can be done (not done that before )

your thoughts please.

:)

Ideally no laptop would be best as outdoor conditions and power for that and scope for hours has some extra work/hassle.

so fully wired or wireless (no laptop) would be ideal. ( goto wireless hand controller maybe )? i could build a wireless system if i really needed too prob would only need 6 channels.

also have to think of webcam comms too.

from post #13

cat5scope.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm no expert on this but like yourself have experience in IT so networks, wifi and cabling are not an issue.

The control cables are serial based so you can either hard-wire or use bluetooth/wi-fi connections that have a com port.

For example there is a product which connects to the hand-controller port and acts like a wi-fi broadcaster that you can connect your iphone to and use an app to control the scope, goto star etc. And a cheaper cabled option that does the same.

Google Skywire & 'SkyFi Wireless Telescope controller'

I was looking at using bluetooth serial adapter as a cheaper alternative.

hi stevie. yes after searching saw the bluetooth comm jobbie. not sure how effective with a distance of poss 15-20m and through a wall or 2 etc.

so the "goto" system is ready ported for pc control instead of using the handheld commander?

I believe most route via the handset (like my Nexstar 4SE) though I can't say what other makes do for sure.

here we go stevie. 2 of

1 for goto control

1 for webcam

so just 2 cat5's to run. cheap as chips :)

CDL Micro - USB over Cat5e Extender - Product Details

assuming you have a usb to serial already. which i have

Wow.. that beats having to run power to a nearby shed, plug the goto and the CCD camera into a netbook and then use RDC to control the scope...

For £56 that's an excellent solution. Now all that's needed is some means of running 12v to the scope that will be 60' down the bottom of the garden... any ideas ?

Wow.. that beats having to run power to a nearby shed, plug the goto and the CCD camera into a netbook and then use RDC to control the scope...

For £56 that's an excellent solution. Now all that's needed is some means of running 12v to the scope that will be 60' down the bottom of the garden... any ideas ?

car battery not sure how much juice "your" goto needs prob be ok with a 12v rechargeable house alarm battery. circa £12 ebay

... seeing as your an electrician, why not take a supply outside and put an outside socket? From here you can plug in an adaptor? ... For a cheaper solution use a long extension cable from your house! The first option is exactly what I've got planned ... have you thought about a motorised focuser? Will pretty much be a necessity. This is my current project.

As I've not got a GOTO hand controller I'm thinking about getting this Ursa Minor planetarium and telescope controller program Although I am currently considering simply a second webcam on my finder scope for scanning about. When I finally get the software etc. I might modify the second webcam to taking LE pics.

The USB over cat5 is highly likely to be usb 1.1 spec rather than usb 2.0 spec so it unlikely to be adequate for the cameras.

An alternative would be ethernet over mains cable ?

you still need the usb to ethernet converters to get to ethernet for over power so the restriction is still the usb to ethernet converter in 1.1 if it is 1.1.

i'm sure i read they are usb2 but tested thru put was not quite usb2 speeds but better than 1.1 and plenty for streaming video.

... seeing as your an electrician, why not take a supply outside and put an outside socket? From here you can plug in an adaptor? ... For a cheaper solution use a long extension cable from your house! The first option is exactly what I've got planned ... have you thought about a motorised focuser? Will pretty much be a necessity. This is my current project.

As I've not got a GOTO hand controller I'm thinking about getting this Ursa Minor planetarium and telescope controller program Although I am currently considering simply a second webcam on my finder scope for scanning about. When I finally get the software etc. I might modify the second webcam to taking LE pics.

yes outdoor power is no prob for me. however was thinking of others who that may add extra cost/logistics to.

i'm a car fiddler too so have batterys at the ready. 2 wires/portable and no digging up back garden and plenty of 12v umph :)

hi tipper. no i had not thought about motorised focuser. thx

again its horses for courses for me a 3rd cat5 run and adapters would be minor and of very minimal cost/hassle

presuming elec focusers are usb controllable?

edit to add: infact i reckon i'd just have a usb hub on the one cat5 scope end for control of both goto and focuser and the

other cat5 dedicated for webcam

my vision

cat5scope.jpg

found a hardware/software driven high speed usb2 device would only need 1 cat5 cable run and connects to network so any pc in the house can connect. the pc will act as if the device is plugged directly i.e an external hard drive plugged into the adapter will show as a drive such as E drive next to your C drive in My Computer.

Lantronix Ubox 4100 USB Device Network Server 4Port on eBay (end time 08-Mar-11 12:51:35 GMT)

Archived