Webcam hair pulling

I have been interested in astronomy since a young boy, had my first Tasco telescope at the age of 7. Things moved on and later got married etc. I now have more time to spend, so I have bought a Celestron 114LCM. I am attaching an old webcam direct, bought have tried using it through a barlow lens. I just cant seem to get the focus correct, im sure you have heard all this before. I have spent ages trolling through various sites to find an inexspensive replacement webcam that i will be able to get some clearer images from. Can anyone suggest a good replacement please, as astrophotography is something i would like to start, i have looked at the Neximager but read so many mixed reviews about this cam. The microsoft lifecam appears to be recommended but as i said i am still new to this and would like to spend money wisely at this early stage. Please help.

Kind regards

Marcus

Search for "Philips SPC900NC webcam" in ebay. There is a guy (Michael Morris) who sells them already flashed for £29.99 and will provide software if you need it for free. I got mine from him and it works a treat.

Search for "Philips SPC900NC webcam" in ebay. There is a guy (Michael Morris) who sells them already flashed for £29.99 and will provide software if you need it for free. I got mine from him and it works a treat.

That's a little pricey isn't it?

which sort of barlow would be best suited for the job, also a friend has offered me the neximager for a good price is it worth going down that route do you think. I have been reading other blogs on this forum, its a mine field really as to what is the best options. How is my current telescope (celestron 114lcm) rated for this job as well, sorry..... so many questions. Thanks all so far !!

An Imagemate or a TAL Barlow or a TeleVue Powermate are all good choices. The TAL is cheapest but hard to find and maybe not as good. I have an old TeleVue Barlow.

Look in my albums here on SGL to see what you can do with the 114: plenty!

The NexImage has the same CCD chip as the Philips SPC900NC, I think.

Just a thought marcus. Is your webcam one that has been modified for astro use? What I mean is has the original lens been removed. If you have put a normal web cam in where the eyepiece would go it wont focus. It may not be the case but you don't mention what the webcam is or how you've attached it.

Dave...

Archived