does it have a wedge or does it not?

I am online reading the Celestron Nexstar SE6/8 manual and it refers variously to 'the built in wedge' , also refers to an 'optional wedge' or 'wedge accessory'(several times in various places). Does the 6 and 8 inch version have a wedge or not? Thanks :-);)

Tracy

(In London shopping for her first scope)

looking at the manual on the Celestron site there may be a tilting top plate on the top of the tripod (item #9 on page 5) ... as it then goes on to explain usign EQ North or EQ South alignment when usign this feature... (similar to the Meade #844 Deluxe field tripod)

Check with the shop?

While better than nothing for longer exposure astrophotography.. it wont be easy to make the fine adjustments need to accurately align on the NCP...

Lifted from the manual....

Finally, EQ North and EQ South alignments are designed to assist you in aligning the NexStar when polar aligned using the tripods built-in wedge.

Wonder if they have a new tripod...?

Billy...

I recently took a trip to green witch and was shown some images taken with a C6 in alt az mode using Faster (i didnt even know mine had this till then) the images were very impressive and were exposed upto 30 seconds... could be a better investment than a wedge for AP

I think that the SE mount has the standard wedge fittings, but the tripod does not, so its either a new tripod for a standard wedge or a celestron SE wedge...do these sell in the UK? personally i wouldn't do either unless was given to me..

Some of the wording in the manual leads you to believe it has a wedge.

I think it should have "(optional)" when it's mentioned.

However I decided to purchase as a viewing telescope with maybe a bit of webcam planetary imaging later on.

So the wedge was not an issue when I purchased.

Archived