Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Autoguiding equipement

Hi all,

After seeing my best result at M42 fall short of what I would like and a full 2mins of the horsehead that might as well have been a dark(!), I've decided I need to at least try auto guiding. But I have a serious weight and budget limit!

I have an f/4 newt, an eq5 with the synscan upgrade (latest version), a laptop with only 3 usb's, a 50mm finder and an unmodded SPC900 with a 1.25" adapter.

Am I right in thinking that with shoestrings new USB2EQ5 cable and the 'Guide Camera Adapter for Finders' from Mod Astronomy, I'd have the equipement I need for basic autoguiding?

What concerns me most is focussing the guider as I have read about having to cut the tube length to achieve focus.

Many thanks

I think you may find it difficult with an unmodified webcam AND a 50mm finderscope. If you could stretch to a better scope OR a better camera (including the home-brew LX modification of your current webcam), you will probably find things a lot easier.

OK thanks, I'm not sure of the weight of the 8" and have seen conflicting advice about imaging weight limits for the eq5 so am reluctant to add a bigger guider. When you say better camera/lx mod do you mean I must be able to get 1sec(ish) exposures on the 50mm finder?

Also am I right about the USB2EQ5 being the only thing needed (software excepted) to control the mount from the laptop?

One of the best things about metaguide is that it stacks in realtime so the need for long exposures is greatly reduced. Since Yoddha suggested it in bamus' original post I have a had a play around with it and found it greatly increased the effective sensitivity of my unmodded spc900.

Archived