NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Finder doing my head in - suggestions?

As per the title, I tend to use both scopes on my CG-4. They both have straight finders but I find myself contorted trying to see through the finder. Why don't they make them with a diagonal? It's worse with the long tube of the XLT. Is there a diagonal that I can buy and add on? Is there a relatively economical finder that will solve the problem for me? I'm not a fan of RDFs

I don't think that you can add a diagonal to a finderscope.

I have two SW 9x50 finders, one straight through and one right angled. The RA one has a shorter body to allow for the length of the diagonal. If you added a diagonal to a straight through finder I don't think you would reach focus.

I bought the RA finder as an upgrade to the red-dot which came with my Mak and I use it alongside a Rigel Quikfinder which I would also recommend.

Andrew

I added a right angle finder that I used to use for macro work - the type that attaches to the viewfinder of a DSLR camera. This works really well but I had one 'lying around' so was lucky. Here is one similar to mine for £44.00 I attached mine by fabricating a mounting using 21.5mm overflow waste pipe.

it's probably just a cheapie thrown in to complete the kit at a certain price point

Since you don't like RDF's (like the adjustable angle Tele Vue star beam), I would suggest a Stellarvue SV50 or SV60 finder with the star diagonal, or a Baader Planetarium Variofinder. Another excellent finder is the Tele Vue 60, but it's rather pricey for this application. If you need crosshairs, you can get an illuminated crosshair eyepiece, but I don't find them necessary unless your main scope's field of view is down to less than half a degree or something.

When I recently bought a second hand scope it already had a SV50 finder scope fitted. It has a right angled diagonal and an illunminated crosshair too. The previous owner said he bought it from Altair Astro, but all I can find on their website is this one which looks very similar. I'm sure I read somewhere that the SV was hard to get hold of so maybe that is why Altair have stopped selling them.

Altair 10x60 Right Angled Illuminated Finder Scope (erect image, variable illuminator, finder bracket, multi-purpose base) :: Finder scopes :: Altair Astro

If you happen to have a junk pair of binoculars and a spare diagonal you can make your own at no cost. I used a bit of tube from a broken office chair to complete my free 60mm finder. It does the job.

Archived