Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Supernova 2011B in NGC 2655

Roel

A relatively bright (m12.8) supernova is currently visible in NGC 2655. It lies near Polaris (about 10 degrees) and culminates at midnight. A very pretty sight even in moderate telescopes. Mag. 12 is comparable to the little star next to the Ring Nebula. It not a common sight to see a supernova this bright in a circumpolar galaxy, so everyone should take a look before it fades away for good!

Yesterday I made a graphite drawing of the galaxy and the supernova with my 12"f/4 truss Dob.

Een supernova in de vrieskou (2011B in NGC 2655) Roelblog

Just out of interest has anyone seen this with a smaller scope and if so what size? I`m not expecting to see it in my 80ed but it would be nice!! LOL

T x

I was able to see it with my 10" newtonian last night. From that experience I feel it might be visible with a 6" or an 8" under really good conditions and with averted vision.

Someone on the "Cloudynights" forum has seen it with a 4" but that may have been from the sort of location / skies that we don't have access to much in the UK ;)

I was able to see it with my 10" newtonian last night. From that experience I feel it might be visible with a 6" or an 8" under really good conditions and with averted vision.

Someone on the "Cloudynights" forum has seen it with a 4" but that may have been from the sort of location / skies that we don't have access to much in the UK :)

I think that's spot on John. I've been saying 6" to 8" as a minimum

I think that's spot on John. I've been saying 6" to 8" as a minimum

Well I saw it with my 6" F/8 refractor tonight - tougher of course than with the 10" newt and a bit of averted vision was needed to get it to "sparkle forth" but it was there :)

Having found it a couple of nights ago with the 10" helped a great deal - the galaxy and SN lie in a field of stars with some "shape" to it :)

Very pleased to have done this one with a 6" scope :)

I can find M81 and M82 quite easily, is there a technique you use to get from there?...Ive tried a few times now but with no success..:)

I'm going to Polaris, then towards M81 and M82 as far as the 4th mag star HIP 47193 (Stellarium) then veer to the "left" about half the distance from Polaris again to find NGC2655. The star field @60x looks to me like an old fashoned diamond kite with the galaxy and SN 2/3 of the way along the "spine" towards the top, just off centre.

Very unscientific but it works !.

Thanks John, hopefully will be clear tomorrow for me to give your technique a go!!....:)....I Really want to see this before it gets too dim as it were...

I hope you do :)

I can see down to around mag 5 with the naked eye here tonight - I tend to use the 4th and faintest star in the "square" of Ursa Minor as a guide - if I can see that then it's not too bad.

Archived