Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Before i spend my money

satnavsatnav

Before i embark on viewing the night sky. Can you tell me what you think about this spotting scope

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_17425.htm

that is for sale at a very reasonable price my questions are

Q1 is it worth getting instead of binos. I usually jump in feet first in all i do but this time i want to take things slower and learn the night sky and build up to buying a decent telescope and all the gummings that comes with it.

Q2 If its a piece of junk are there any suggestions as to which binos or spot scope to buy first.

Cheers guys for any help.

You'll enjoy binoculars more than that scope, I would think. That tripod doesn't look suitable for 60x and you'll need a solid table on which to mount it. It comes with no information on the specs, which is a worry. It appears to be a zoom scope, which means it will have a very narrow field of view. Zoom has its place, but there are also drawbacks so most people either don't use it or don't have it as their only option. I'd steer well clear of it.

I have a set of these, and quite like them:

www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Meade_10x50_Binocular_Special_Offer.html

If possible, try before you buy. With these Meads I need to wear glasses to focus at infinity (but I am very myopic). Perhaps they've fixed this issue, however, since I bought my set about 8 years ago.

Archived