NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What is guiding and autoguiding?

EssexMigrant

The title says it all really, I'm not only just starting out seriously in this hobby, but becoming curious about imaging. On my journey through various sites, I've often come across terms like guiding and autoguiding, but I've nowhere seen an explanation. If there's a thread here you can point me to, or a link to somewhere else, I'd appreciate being pointed to it.

All help welcomed

Cheers

Max

Thanks to Themos and Mark for a couple of really good links! This seems like a VERY complicated occupation, and ridiculously expensive. It seems very odd that the extras should cost more than the scope! I just looked at the other possibility of using Hyperstar, and couldn't believe they wanted nearly £700 for the model to fit my C8!!! I did think about sticking my D300 on the back of the C8, but that would make a very heavy setup, and I don't imagine it would be any better than doing multiple shots with my Neximage. So it looks as though It'll be the Neximage, or stick a point and shoot on an eyepiece, at least I'm used to that in birding.

Thanks again

Max

Hi Max

I'm just starting out on the imaging slippery slope too and if you haven't been recommended this book Books - Making Every Photon Count - Steve Richards then let me do so.. it was recommended to me and is a fantastic source of information. I only got mine last week and have read it backwards several times. Highly recommended..

Archived