Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Can there be much difference!

Hi folks

In 2003 I brought a etx125 but due to illness lack of guidance I never got it to work properly due to alignment issues if I had to guess. Due to the illness and packing in work I unfortunately had to sell the scope.

Anyway its 2011 and im back and ready to venture back into the hobby!

I enjoy looking at the planets the moon, comets and look forward to maybe looking beyond ............. I am also a semi pro photographer so further down the line would like to try some imagining but im in no rush as I would like to be able to get a scope working correctly 1st as last time put me off a little. I would prefer a goto style scope as im not the best studier in the world and would like to learn with some guidance from the scope.

I was thinking 5" and narrowed it down to these

Meade etx 70-125

Celestron 130 slt

Celestron nexstar 4se xlt

Skymax 127 synscan

Im unsure why the meade 125 is so more expensive than the others is it that much better? are there any pro's con's I should know? Is skymax/sky watcher the same company? I had not heard of them till I started my research this time around but they seem really popular on here are they that good?

I would like to buy one 2nd hand so I could change my mind on the scope without taking a big hit and if I get back into the hobby I could upgrade at a later date! I cant access the classified section on here which is a shame but if anyone is selling anything suitable please let me know.

Thanks for reading and any light u may be able to shed!

Regards uklush

hi, you will be able to access the for sale section when you have reached 50 or more posts on this site, it wont take so long! in mean time you can use uk astro buy and sell site, i would be inclined to suggest a skywatcher skymax 127

In addition to 50 posts you will also need 1 month's active membership.:)

As soon as you put imaging into your purchase equation or the possibility of it, then you need to first research the imaging requirements will be as scopes ideal for imaging aren't necessarily ideal for observing. Try and get hold of a copy of Steve Richards "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) to help in deciding what equipment to get for your budget and for the level of imaging you want to achieve. It's important to get all the facts on the table to help you make an informed choice.

Clear skies

James

Welcome back!

If you want to try deep sky imaging at a later point, start your thought process over again, honestly. Here are the key points.

1) Go for a German Equatorial mount, not a fork and wedge system. The minimum useful one is the HEQ5. Almost all DS imagers go for GEM mounts for ease of setup, alignment and tracking accuracy.

2) Telescope focal ratio is critical. It must be fast, at least f7.5 and preferably faster. Otherwise your exposure times become too long and guiding issues get worse.

3) Long focal lengths require vastly more accurate tracking than short. There are plenty of targets for short focal lengths.

Imaging does not need aperture, visual astronomy does. There's the rub...

Olly

Skywatcher produce a big range of scopes and the Skymax ones are their Maksutov-Cassegrains. I am having a blast with the 127. Had great views of the moon, reasonable jupiter & saturn and very nice orion nebula. My main reason for going for a Mak was that it is very portable.

Guys thank you for taking the time out to reply to my post and many thanks for your informative replies.

I think the mount Olly mentioned is out of my budget range to be honest and to start with I feel imaging the planets and moon will do for starters.

Thanks James for the book ref ill take a look!

So the skymax 127 vs meade 125, is there any reason the meade is twice the price?

I think bang for buck ill take the advise and look at the skymax, I think I need to get back into the hobby and learn the skies some more before big investment :), plus I would keep the skymax type scope for its portabilty.

Many thanks again!

Archived