Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Maximum exposure time without trailing?

dlp

I was just looking at another post http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/125165-my-first-photo-night-sky.html, and was amazed to see an 8s exposure without star trailing. I seem to get trailing after only a couple of seconds.

Seriously though, I know the earth's rotation speed is ≈465m/s, or 7.2921150 ×10−5 radians per SI second, which I think equates to about .004 deg/s (7.2921150 ×10−5 * 180/pi), or 14.4 arcseconds . Given that for example Betelgeuse is only ≈0.050 arcseconds across, in 1 sec it surely must have moved a lot in relation to the pixel detector on your camera sensor?

Just wondered what other people's experience is, and indeed whether my maths is right?

David

David, I've got decent results with 30 seconds at 18mm down to 8 seconds at 50mm with my 450d. I checked by taking a shot and zooming all the way in on preview, looking for trails. If the star looked elongated, I reduced the exposure time and tried again.

Thanks guys - most useful. I'm using an 80 - 300mm lens so that adds a further variable to the equation doesn't it...

PS Betelgeuse was just an example for star size, although my last 'trailed' image was Orion.

Star size doesn't enter into it. What matters is how closely squished the pixels are. At 300mm focal length, a 5 micron pixel pitch sensor has a resolution of about 3.5 arcseconds per pixel. On the celestial equator (stars go 15 arc-seconds per second, 15=360/24) the star goes across 4 pixels in a second. Multiply by the cosine of the declination for stars away from the equator.

Ahh - brianb - thanks, I can deal with rule of thumb and that clearly explains why 300mm doesn't work at 2s!

themos - thanks! How do you work out the res in arcseconds per pixel, related to the lens focal length? My sensor is apparently 4.78µm, which means little to me!

David

I googled "arcsecond per pixel calculator"....

But I also have the formula (648/π)*(p/f) (comes from the geometry of a very thin right angle triangle with the pixel size on one side and the focal length on the other side of the right angle)

In your case (648/3.14)*(4.78/300) = 3.3 arcseconds per pixel

Thanks for that themos - a handy formula to keep around. I also found, for anyone still interested :)) some useful formulae and calculators on Wilmslow Astro site - Useful Formulae

- even down to calculating length of star trails, which with my 300mm lens at 2s would be 7.9 px, or at the 80mm end, 2.1px, at 30deg declination.

Archived