startravel 102

I need a bit of advice...

Have only just purchased this grab and go scope and I am sure I will get a lot more use out of it than the 10" Dob.

I would like to purchase a selection of eye pieces and filters that really work with this model but being a small scope I am not really sure what will work and what will not.

As its only 102mm I dont want to buy filters that are just not suitable.

I dont want to really keep upgrading them either so mid to high price range is what I am looking at.

Any feedback would really help..

Thanks

Paul..........:)

The Skywatcher 16mm Nirvana worked really well with this scope. The eyepiece is well corrected for F5 scopes and gives a true field of 2.6deg....huge, but still with 31x mag.

I was also surprised to spot the Veil using this scope plus a Skywatcher OIII filter and all from my heavily light polluted garden.

And finally, we have found the minus violet filters really do help with planetary viewing. They are not miracle workers though. The view was improved but still not great.

Another good addition was a decent diagonal, ditching the supplied one.

Thanks for that Russ....

Merlin....I have sold the dob and eye pieces that wher with it, So I have just the 10 and 20 that came with this scope..

So looking to start from scratch and try and get a good viewing experience from a grab and go.

Thanks

Paul.

Paul, you can get a binocular rivaling field of view using a 2" widefield. At the time i had the Aero ED 30mm and the true field of view was 4deg at 16x magnification. Massive vistas of the milkyway :) And taking in M31 was easy.

That eyepiece will do fine for starters. As John says, you will need a 2" diagonal but i think you'll need to upgrade the diagonal anyway. So may as well get a 2" version. The field of view is going to be a MASSIVE 4.5deg! A true space walk through the milkyway come the summer. Although you will get a certain amount of astigmatism in the outer 30-40% of the field with that eyepiece

Gone up a whopping £2 now due to 20% VAT, so £57 for the cheapest. But Scopes'n'skies are doing the Revelation Dielectric 2" for £79 delivered, which is a great price. It's £87 from Telescope House. Although the extra £7 maybe worth avoiding the risk of hassle at Scopes'n'skies and Telescope House may even price match.

Archived