Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Spectroscopy - a taker!

Well – I did have a go! I have dabbled with low res transmission gratings and tried my Lhires III with a 300l/mm grating but the challenge was to do some real science so I have moved to the 2400l/mm grating.

I have also started to dabble in imaging so for interest I attach my first light M31 image and my first eps Aur high res spectra around the Halpha line plus the extracted profile. Both have similar total exposure times of 20mins.

Both clearly need a lot of work & exposure.

The M31 was a breeze compared to the spectra but the challenge is half the fun (and frustration).

I shall endeavour to follow both disciplines.

Andrew

The m31 was with a Tak Epsilon 180 + FLI ML8300

The spectrum was with a 300mm Newtonian + Lhires III + FLI MaxCam E2V47-10

post-21962-13387752324_thumb.jpg

post-21962-133877523248_thumb.jpg

ea-spec.bmp

Indeed it is very noisy! It was a 23micron slit with a single 20 min hand guided exposure. With the 300mm Newt at F10 the image is a tad too big and the seeing was poor. I have yet to crack autoguiding on the slit but that's a work in progress.

All in all I need more photos through the slit.

Andrew

Nice spectra Andrew, do you have a line profile of it calibrated in wavelength?

You can find an Epsilon Auriga I took in my album at

Stargazers Lounge - jsandse's Album: Spectra

by the way you can do science with low resolution work - spectrophotometry of the continua in particular and you can look at fainter stars /pulsars/supernova etc too

cheers

John

Archived