Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New setup and whole bunch of questions!

andyhicks

Hi,

My new setup arrived a a few days ago and im having a lot of fun getting my head around it all. Theres a LOT to understand but im getting there.

Ive spent nights awake figuring all the settings on my 20D and last night the clouds were thin with some breaks so I took a cheap wobbly tripod and gave widefield a go with a 50mm lens. Ive gotta say Im surprised and quite excited by my results, I cant believe how many stars my camera can 'see' ! its amazing! My area is bad for light pollution, theres at least 5 streetlights about and the whole street had they're lights on plus seeing conditions were mostly terrible! Im very very impressed and totally excited about what I could manage on a good, dark night on my new mount. Im not going to entertain using my new scope for imaging until I understand it all a lot more.

Ive got a whole load of questions! normally google is my friend but im in over my head here and I literally cant sleep until I've figured it out

this is probably gonna be long so Ill start off with a few and then go on from there so I hope you can all help me.

First, I need help with some software! Ive not even begun to process any images yet but im getting some programs together for the job.

Ive already dowloaded 'deepskystacker' and 'GIMP' but there yet to be used. This is basic but I need some way of getting my pics from my camera to the computer!! I didnt get any canon software with the camera. All my pics are in RAW but ive been playing with both JPEG and RAW + jpeg. I bought earlier a usb a - b and it fits, the computer recognises the camera but thats all i can manage so far

Aswell as getting the pics off the camera, there is no liveview so is there some sort of portable lcd screen you can buy to hook up to the camera and be able to see things a bit better?

Seriously, Ive got myself so confused and Ive taken in so much information over the last few days i dont know what i know anymore!

thanks for your help, and sorry...because there plenty more questions!

andy

Software... try out the free version of APT and then spend 12.70 euros to get the full version... you wont regret it...

I am not sure but you might need a serial shutter lead for exposure longer than 30s

If your at all handy with a soldering iron these are easy to make (its N3 connector not the readly available mini jack) if not give Andy Ellis a call at Astronomiser...

http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/dslr/CanonRelease40D.html

I will download the 20D manual and check a few things out...

billy...

Thanks,

I have the manual at least! Ive been reading it for days!

I have a remote shutter lead too! Ill look for APT, ive no idea what that stands for. At the minute I cant even get my pics off the camer to the computer! im desperate to see them!!!

No you still need those....

APT is the app for controlling the capturing of images from the camera (and a whole lot more)

DSS is used for stacking the images (and calibration - darks, flats, bias etc)

GIMP can be used for post processing the stacks but you really need something that works in 16 bit or higher...

Billy...

Ah ok, starting to get there now I think!

APT for capture, DSS for stacking and calibration and GIMP for tinkering?! I do want to get photoshop, do you think this will be better? I think I know that RAW files are 16bit linear so will GIMP work?

Still have the problem of not being able to get my pictures off my camera!! 'my computer' doesnt recognise there anything plugged in!

Oh and with APT, Im taking it this is what i would use when im out in the field? Do i need a special cable or is the USB ok? I need a laptop dont I?!

with APT or any other app then I think you will need Serial ( via usb/serial adaptor if the computer doesnt have one) and USB leads for exposures longer than 30s at a guess based on the "age" of the camera.. (reading the manual for it between posts) lappy or netbook will be fine

just had a quick look at APT. ive hooked up the camera via USB and hit connect on APT but it cant find my camera

I might have to have a break from this, im gettin annoyed that i dont know what im doing haha

Thanks psychobilly! i appreciate your help :D i dont have a netbook or a laptop so until i get one could i use my computer with a giant lead and a lot of running back and forth?

Dont panic .. we are here to help :D

A timer remote will get you up and running just make sure its the type with an N3 connector fitted .. i'll go and find some links from ebay...

cheapest but slow (free) delivery from China/HK

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Timer-Remote-Shutter-Canon-EOS-7D-5D-40D-30D-20D-/280516906850?pt=UK_Photography_DigitalCamAccess_RL&hash=item41501c4f62

Same thing but get here quicker...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UK-Timer-Remote-Canon-50D-40D-30D-20D-10D-5D-TC80N3-/220684005963?pt=UK_Photography_DigitalCamAccess_RL&hash=item3361cab24b

Glad to know I can get my help here! Thanks :D

I thought I was fancy with my remote shutter lead but if I need a timed one then that is what i shall get!

Ill be glad when Ive sorted all the software then I can get onto my other questions haha!

e2a: it is indeed the N3 connector so ill be sure to get thr right one!

Have you tried to take out the memory card and just plug that into your PC? I use a card reader and have never once connected my camera to the PC - I always remove the memory card and download from there. If you are shooting raw, then you'll probably be helped by getting DPP from the Canon website. That's their iimage software and you will be able to download and tinker with the raw files, convert them to tiffs and process accordingly.

Thanks everyone for the help, Its all sorted now, Ive got more software than I know what to do with. Its a bit of shame about APT, my camera doesnt support live view so that feature wont work! I can still control the camera with it and I like the red screen but the canon software can capture too so think Ill get rid of APT.

Right, Ive got the camera/computer sorted and now Ive got another load of questions about my optical train. My scope is a Stellarvue at1010. I have a problem with going on with myself too much, I get sidetracked easily and digress :) so I'm going to list them instead!

Im not keen on the rack and pinion focuser and would like something with a better feel. Will the skywatcher ds crayford for refractors fit my scope? its about 130 squid and looks pretty good.

Im aiming (with no timescale!) to get the best possible images out of my setup before I eventually need to upgrade everything. Im worried about optical effects so Id like to get the skywatcher field flattener to start with (will this reduce the blurring toward the edge of FOV? sharper stars?) and what about false colour? should I look at a minus violet filter?

I already have a light pollution filter and a baader UV/IR filter which I can stack together, they are 1.25". I also have an eyepiece projection adaptor and the bottom screws out to serve as a 2" - 1.25 adapter. I have 2 canon T-rings, one thin one which only seems to be threaded for camera lenses but nothing else and a thicker one which I can use to attatch the camera direct to the focusor for prime focus but with the ep projection adaptor it will screw into the bottom half (2" - 1.25 adaptor) but at the top it will only screw in a little bit so is the thread different? how many T-rings are there??

As mentioned my filters are 1.25" so the only way I can use them is: camera -> t ring -> 2 - 1.25 ad -> filters ->focuser. What differences will I notice between imaging through 2" or 1.25"? do I really need 2" filters and if so where would they go?

When I eventually try EP projection the optical train is going to get pretty heavy. I think my focuser will handle the weight but what about all the lenses? surely this will have some negative effect?

Camera -> t ring -> Ep projection adapter top half -> EP -> EP projection bottom half so 2" to 1.25 adapter -> filters...? -> field flattener..? -> filters..? -> barlow??.. ->filters??..

You see what I mean? its getting silly. If I got the field flattener and more filters where do they go? Wont all this length do something to the focusing?

One more thing. I've got a WO 45 angle for EP's would I use this for imaging? I havent been but its just occured to me.

If I could get some help with any of this that would be brilliant!

andy

Archived