NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar Imaging Query

Trillian

Hi everyone,

I have tried on several occasions to take images of the sun using my skywatcher 130p and philips spc900 webcam. I have tried using both Sharpcap and V-lounge. The problem I am having is that though I can view the sun clearly through an eyepiece, once I put the webcam in place the image appears on the computer screen but it is huge, out of focus and the sunspots don't show up. I have played around with various settings and nothing seems to make any difference. What am I doing wrong? How can I tweek the settings to allow the image to fit fully onto the screen and clearly enough to view the sunspots? :D:icon_scratch:

No expert, but I have been playing around with a Toucam on AR1147 past couple of days, found that I had to tease the Webcam adaptor back till it was barely in the holder to achieve enough back focus, also found that a high shutter speed was required 1/500 & about 20% gain + 10fps. Hope you have better luck next time

It's a whille since i've imaged the sun with my Toucam but if I remember correctly I either had to use a barlow or an extender to reach focus..

You have to reduce the gain and set the V lounge software to the maximum frames per second to achieve a sharp focus.

Once you achieve focus you increase the gain and reduce the number of frames per second to produce a good image on the screen...Then click record..

HTH

Greg

That looks ok. You won't get the whole moon on screen at once with that setup, you'd need to do a mosaic. I posted a tutorial on how I do one in the tutorials section. It sounds like your probably over exposing for the sun, as you can get focus on the moon. Try adding a Barlow and see if that helps.

You don't mention it in your first post, but did you make the solar film cell or buy one ?

I made my own with some Baader Solar Filter Film, and a plant pot! A real Blue Peter effort.:D

Thankyou everyone for your replies, I have a few things I can try out next time now.

I really want to have a go at a lunar mosaic at some point too and have seen some spectacular results on the forum. I will definately check out your tutorial John.

Archived